Fearing shoe-attack, Modi addresses rally surrounded by a netApril 21st, 2009 - 7:08 pm ICT by ANI
Naroda Patiya (Gujarat), Apr 21 (ANI): After a series of shoe attacks on politicians in the past few days, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi created a stir when he addressed an election rally here surrounded by a protective net.
The authorities are taking extra care to protect Modi, so a protective net was put on the stage to safeguard the Gujarat Chief Minister.
The shoe hurling bug has bit the people after an Iraqi journalist hurled shoe at the former US President George W. Bush.
The first Indian politician to get a taste of ’sole’ was Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram.
Afterwards, a slipper was lobbed at Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) prime ministerial candidate Lal Krishna Advani while he was addressing a public rally.
There was another reported instance of a disgruntled retired teacher who threw his sandal at Congress leader Navin Jindal at an election rally in Kurukshetra. (ANI)
- Minister's involvement only with Modi's consent: Congress on Naroda - Aug 29, 2012
- Activists condemn arrest of protesters in Gujarat - Sep 19, 2011
- Previous attacks on leaders (To go with: 'Ink attack stuns Ramdev, attacker faces mob fury') - Jan 14, 2012
- Throwing footwear: A trend to showcase anger - Oct 18, 2011
- Shoe-chucking turning into a popular protest form (Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- Use vote, not shoes, as weapon: Ramdev - Jan 25, 2012
- Advani becomes new 'slipper' gate target - Apr 16, 2009
- Government cannot be linked to 2002 massacre: Gujarat - Aug 29, 2012
- Shoe attacks started with George Bush - Jun 06, 2011
- 32 convicted in Naroda Patiya massacre - Aug 29, 2012
- BJP lawmaker, 31 others get life terms for Naroda Patiya killings - Aug 31, 2012
- Naroda Patiya massacre: Ex-minister among 32 convicted (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Shoes thrown at others, Pawar first to be assaulted (Timeline) - Nov 24, 2011
- Man who threw shoes at ex-Australian PM dies - May 10, 2011
- Bajrangi said he felt like Rana Pratap after Naroda killings - Aug 29, 2012
Tags: chief minister, congress leader, election rally, extra care, george w bush, gujarat, indian politician, janata party, jindal, krishna, lal krishna advani, narendra modi, navin, p chidambaram, president george w bush, prime ministerial candidate, public rally, sandal, union home minister, us president george