Fatwa in India to boycott Israeli goodsJanuary 20th, 2009 - 3:04 pm ICT by ANI
Lucknow, Jan 20 (ANI): Muslim clerics here issued a fatwa, asking their community members to boycott goods manufactured by Israel and its friendly companies because of its offensive in Gaza. The legal pronouncement was issued on a question asking in the light of Islamic law, whether it was justified for the Muslims to boycott Israeli goods manufactured by Israeli and friendly companies as the profit earned by them was being used against the Muslims.
“The companies which fund Israel or support it economically, such companies and their products should be boycotted so that Israel can be weakened. So that such attacks do not take place in future against Palestinians or any innocent,” said Khalid Rasheed Firangi Mahali, a Sunni Muslim cleric , Lucknow.
He also urged the Indian Government to strongly voice its concern on the issue in the international fora like UN.
“Following its non-aligned movement, India should strongly condemn such act of Israel and help Palestinians on humanitarian grounds. Strong action should be taken against Israeli Embassy in India and New Delhi should voice its concern on the issue in the international fora like the UN,” Mahali added. More than 1,150 Palestinians have been killed since Israel launched its offensive against Gaza on December 27 to force Hamas to stop rocket attacks on its territory.
Israel has accused Hamas of taking shelter among the civilian population and using sites such as mosques and schools as military posts.
Hamas said on Sunday it would cease fire immediately along with other militant groups in the Gaza Strip and give Israel, which already declared a unilateral truce, a week to pull its troops out of the territory. (ANI)
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Hamas calls on Palestinians to abduct Israelis - Apr 18, 2012
- Palestinian group accuses Obama of u-turn - May 25, 2011
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Israeli air strike kills one Palestinian in Gaza - Jan 12, 2011
- Israel may resolve Middle East crisis unilaterally: Minister - May 31, 2012
- Abbas pledges to continue peace talks with Israel - Jan 23, 2012
- Egyptian parliamentary delegation visits Gaza - Mar 29, 2012
- US urges Palestinians, Israelis to end violence - Mar 13, 2012
- Russia to give $2 mn for Palestinian refugees - Aug 03, 2012
- Seize Israeli soldiers to swap for Palestinian prisoners: Hamas - Oct 07, 2011
- One killed after Israeli air strikes hit the Gaza Strip in response to rocket fire - Aug 17, 2011
- Islamic clerics weigh against music, buffets at marriages - Sep 12, 2011
- Israel fires at two Palestinians on Gaza border - Jan 18, 2011
Tags: civilian population, embassy in india, fatwa, gaza strip, hamas, humanitarian grounds, indian government, international fora, islamic law, israeli embassy, israeli goods, militant groups, military posts, mosques, muslim cleric, muslim clerics, pronouncement, rocket attacks, sunni muslim, unilateral truce