Fashion designer Anand Jon’’s friends hold candlelight vigil in DelhiFebruary 25th, 2009 - 1:08 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb 25 (ANI): Celebrity fashion designer Anand Jon’’s friends and relatives held candlelight vigil here last evening seeking justice for him.
Jon was convicted in November last year of raping and sexually assaulting aspiring models as young as 14.
As the contents of sealed motions filed in the case are to be revealed on February 27, it is being speculated that he might get a new trial. The protesters, under the aegis of confederation of Non-Resident Indians, held banners and posters supporting Jon.
Jon’’s mother said the media should highlight her son’’s plight.
“The media should write more about it. There should be a campaign so that Anand gets his freedom and justice. We are only asking for justice,” said Shashi Abraham.
Jon, 34, a rising designer who had dressed socialite Paris Hilton and singer Janet Jackson before his arrest last year, faces possible life imprisonment after a Los Angeles Superior Court jury found him guilty on 16 criminal counts.
The crimes involved lewd acts on a child, rape and sexual battery in assaults between 2001 and 2007 against nine would-be models aged between 14 and 21. He was also convicted of possessing child pornography.
Prosecutors said Jon lured girls and women to Los Angeles with the promise they could work as models and then attacked them. Jon, whose full name is Anand Jon Alexander, denied the charges. His lawyers said the girls and young women were revenge seekers who had made up their stories or who had “invited what happened,” and that there was little physical evidence.
The designer was acquitted of four charges and the jury could not reach a verdict on three other counts. Jon has been in custody for more than a year because he is being investigated on similar charges in New York and Dallas. (ANI)
- Silence! Thus spake Anand Jon - Sep 01, 2009
- NY judge gives Anand Jon a break in serial sex assault case - Oct 14, 2010
- Anand Jon gets a break in sex assault case - Oct 14, 2010
- Anand Jon's sister seeks Govt. intervention, threatens hunger strike - Sep 01, 2009
- Designer Anand Jon pleads not guilty to new rape charges - Jan 30, 2010
- Indian-origin designer Anand Jon gets 59 years for rape (Lead) - Sep 01, 2009
- Anand Jon Alexander sentenced to 59 yrs to life - Sep 01, 2009
- Relatives of Anand Jon to launch "Satyagraha" - Mar 17, 2009
- Indian-born designer Anand Jon gets 59 years for rape - Sep 01, 2009
- Anand Jon Found Guilty - Nov 14, 2008
- Jon paying for being brown: sister - Sep 01, 2009
- Anand Jon Alexander Sentenced To 59 Years To Life - Sep 01, 2009
- Anand Jon convicted of sexual assaults - Nov 14, 2008
- Anand Jon faces new rape charges, pleads not guilty (Lead, superseding previous story) - Jan 30, 2010
- Delhi University students to join Anand Jon''s kin to seek justice - Mar 19, 2009
Tags: aegis, anand jon alexander, angeles superior court, aspiring models, candlelight vigil, celebrity fashion, child pornography, child rape, court jury, fashion designer, janet jackson, lewd acts, life imprisonment, los angeles superior court, paris hilton, physical evidence, seeking justice, sexual battery, shashi, singer janet jackson