Farmers’ group abducts two government officials in Greater NoidaFebruary 19th, 2011 - 5:36 pm ICT by ANI
Greater Noida, Feb 19 (ANI): A farmers’ group kidnapped two government officials in Greater Noida in protest against the arrest of two of their leaders.
The agitated farmers kidnapped R. K. Singh, Deputy Chief Executive Officer, and S. P. Singh, Deputy Collector, on Friday, when they went to negotiate over the land that they had acquired from the farmers.
The farmers said that they would not release the two officials unless their leaders were released, and claimed that the police started the violence by caning them.
“We were called by the authorities for talks. But when we went there, the police started frisking us and our people were beaten up,” said Dharmavir, an injured farmer.
The police officials, however, said there was no cause for panic, and the situation would soon return to normal.
“The agitation has been continuing for the past many days. We are trying to calm down the situation. Today, we have arrested some farmer leaders and thus the situation has got a bit complicated. We are doing our best to bring the situation to normal,” said Amitabh Yash, Senior Superintendent of Police.
Uttar Pradesh Government had earlier acquired land from the farmers for development work, including the express highway project.
The farmers are demanding proper compensation for their land. (ANI)
- Six agitating farmers injured in clash with police - Mar 27, 2011
- Farmers' fury spreads, death toll four (Fourth Lead, correcting designation in para 4) - May 09, 2011
- Politics over farmer's agitation, opposition slams Mayawati (Roundup) - May 09, 2011
- Farmers' fury spreads, death toll four (Third Lead) - May 08, 2011
- 4 injured as police open fire on agitating farmers - Feb 21, 2011
- Top cops transferred in Uttar Pradesh - May 15, 2011
- Farmer fury spreads, death toll is four (Second Lead) - May 08, 2011
- Ajit Singh meets PM over farmers agitation - May 10, 2011
- Farmers protest land acquisition in Uttar Pradesh's Chandauli - May 29, 2011
- Rajnath Singh fasts for farmers, arrested (Lead, changing dateline) - May 12, 2011
- Withdraw cases against Bhatta farmers: Rajnath to Akhilesh - May 08, 2012
- Congress workers in Mumbai protest Rahul Gandhi's arrest - May 12, 2011
- Rajnath, Paswan held for joining farmers' protest (Second Lead) - May 12, 2011
- Rajnath Singh backs farmers, sits on daylong fast - May 12, 2011
- Weapon 'robbed' by Tewatia recovered - Jul 10, 2011