Farmers fear elephant menace in Jharkhand’s Ramgarh DistrictNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:17 am ICT by admin
At times, the elephants cause havoc. Farmers lament the loss of crops worth lakhs of rupees as rampaging elephants destroy the fruit of their hard work.
Many people have been trampled to death and dozens of houses destroyed by elephants in the villages lining the forest land in recent months. Villagers shirk from moving around freely.
“These elephants have become a real menace now. They kill our folk, they hurt us, damage our crops. In one incident where this elephant dragged a man out of his house and killed him. The government hardly do anything. They do compensate the families immediately after the event but that’s it,” Niranjan Singh, a local villager.
Forest officials, however, maintain that elephants harm only on provocation.
“For the past two years, there are four elephants which have been coming to the village. But they do not hurt anyone. I am happy to tell you that their number has increased to six. But these animals never hurt anyone,” Satish Chandra Rai, Divisional Forest Officer (DFO).
During the season when paddy fields have standing crops, elephants attack villages and the surroundings to feast on the paddy.
Such incidences of man-animal encounter have increased over the past few months with forests areas fast depleting and animals looking for food stray into the human territory. (ANI)
- Woman trampled to death by elephants - Jul 22, 2010
- Centre's decision to confer 'National Heritage' status on elephants welcomed - Oct 29, 2010
- Elephant kills five in Jharkhand - Dec 29, 2010
- Tusker tramples four in Bihar - Jul 08, 2012
- Bengal to set up rescue centres for stray jumbos - Mar 27, 2012
- Mysore's rogue tuskers whisked away to Bandipur forest - Jun 09, 2011
- One dead as two wild jumbos go berserk in Mysore - Jun 08, 2011
- Wild elephants trample man to death in Jharkhand - Dec 03, 2010
- Assam villagers terrorised by wild elephants - Dec 19, 2009
- Elephant tramples Jharkhand official to death - Aug 03, 2010
- Herd of wild jumbos kill two in Jharkhand - Jan 04, 2011
- Elephants from Nepal kill 1, injure eight in Uttar Pradesh - Feb 25, 2010
- Jumbo herd moves in, families flee in Chhattisgarh - Jul 18, 2011
- One dead as elephants go berserk in Mysore (Lead) - Jun 08, 2011
- Wildlife guard killed by elephant - Jan 11, 2012
Tags: cause havoc, dfomals, elephant, elephants, farmers, fear, forest land, forest officer, forest officials, jharkhand, man animal, menace, nearby forests, paddy fields, satish chandra, standing crops, trampled to death, worth lakhs