Family will have to convince Caroline Kennedy to bid for Senate seatDecember 8th, 2008 - 5:19 pm ICT by ANI
Albany (New York), Dec.8 (ANI): Caroline Kennedy, the daughter of former President John F. Kennedy, will in all probability, look to the Kennedy clan to convince her to push to be appointed to Hillary Clinton’’s soon-to-be-vacant Senate seat.
“Right now, it’’s more of a family push than her own,” the New York Daily News quoted, a source, as saying.
State Governor David A. Paterson has said he has yet to make up his mind whom he will tap to fill the seat that becomes vacant next month if Clinton is confirmed as President-elect Barack Obama’’s secretary of state.
After speaking with Kennedy about the seat on Wednesday, Paterson wasn”t sure whether she was serious or “just sticking a toe in the water,” his aides said.
Her cousin Robert F. Kennedy Jr. said she is seriously considering the seat. A host of elected Democrats believe it would be hard for Paterson to deny Kennedy the seat if she wants it, particularly given her ties to Obama.
Obama warmly praised Kennedy on Sunday, but stopped short of backing her to replace Clinton.
“Caroline Kennedy has become one of my dearest friends and is just a, a wonderful American, a wonderful person,” he told “Meet the Press.”
“But the last thing I want to do is get involved in New York politics,” Obama said.
“I”ve got enough trouble in terms of Illinois politics.”
Meanwhile, The New York Observer reports that New Jersey Senator Robert Menendez, the new head of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, has reached out to Kennedy to discuss Clinton’’s seat.
New York’’s senior senator, Chuck Schumer, who was the previous head of the campaign committee, said yesterday he would not publicly push for Kennedy or any one of the other 10 potential candidates - including state Attorney General Andrew Cuomo and Nassau County Executive Tom Suozzi. (ANI)
- Caroline Kennedy opts out of New York Senate race - Jan 22, 2009
- 20-1 odds against Caroline Kennedy getting Hillary Clintons NY Senate seat - Dec 08, 2008
- Caroline Kennedy wants Clinton's Senate seat - Dec 16, 2008
- Uncle Teddy wants Caroline to carry forward the Kennedy legacy - Dec 22, 2008
- Caroline Kennedy interested in Hillary Clinton''s Senate seat - Dec 06, 2008
- Kennedy clan ''disappointed'' over Caroline not becoming New York Senator - Jan 23, 2009
- New York Senator wants to ban drugs sold as 'bath salts' - Jan 31, 2011
- US Senate poll: Campaign with a difference - Sep 16, 2010
- Caroline Kennedy hires key Democrat fixer to soothe critics - Dec 16, 2008
- US Senators demand 'terror outfit' Pak Taliban be blacklisted - Jun 23, 2010
- Ackerman says Caroline Kennedy no more qualified than JLo to be New York Senator - Dec 11, 2008
- Kennedys spokesman decries ''mudslinging'' over her Senate bid - Jan 23, 2009
- Democratic favouritism outlines Trump political donation history - Apr 27, 2011
- New Yorkers want Cuomo, not Caroline Kennedy to fill Clintons vacant senate seat - Jan 15, 2009
- Poll says Caroline Kennedy not a good choice for Hillary Clinton''s vacant Senate seat - Jan 07, 2009
Tags: attorney general andrew cuomo, barack obama, caroline kennedy, chuck schumer, cousin robert, democratic senatorial campaign, democratic senatorial campaign committee, hillary clinton, kennedy clan, nassau county, new york daily news, new york dec, new york observer, president john f kennedy, robert f kennedy jr, senator chuck schumer, senator robert menendez, senatorial campaign committee, state attorney general, vacant senate seat