Family mourns loss of Indian worker abducted and killed in Afghanistan

March 6th, 2009 - 3:15 pm ICT by ANI  

Chennai, Mar 6 (ANI): Sounds of wailing filled the air as family members of Simon Paramanathan, the Indian worker who was killed by his abductors in Afghanistan, mourned their loss upon receiving his body in their hometown Chennai.
Tears rolled down their faces as grief stricken relatives waited outside the airport to receive Simon’’s body on Thursday.
Thirty-eight-year-old Simon who worked for an Italian food chain in Herat province of Afghanistan was abducted by unknown militants in October last year. He was reported to have died in the custody of his abductors in February 2009.
The abductors had demanded a ransom of US 50, 000 dollars, and killed him when they did not get the money.
Simon’’s family blames the Indian Government for not taking steps to save their national.
“Overseas Minister Vayalar Ravi did not pay any attention towards our predicament. The Tamil Nadu Government also did not take any steps and External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee even said that militants were responsible for his kidnapping, but did not do anything to save him. The Indian Government has led us down. We are completely ruined,” said Subramanyam, Simon’’s brother.
Simon is survived by his wife and two children.
Simon is one of many Indians to have been killed in Afghanistan so far. (ANI)

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in National |