Family mourns loss of Indian worker abducted and killed in AfghanistanMarch 6th, 2009 - 3:15 pm ICT by ANI
Chennai, Mar 6 (ANI): Sounds of wailing filled the air as family members of Simon Paramanathan, the Indian worker who was killed by his abductors in Afghanistan, mourned their loss upon receiving his body in their hometown Chennai.
Tears rolled down their faces as grief stricken relatives waited outside the airport to receive Simon’’s body on Thursday.
Thirty-eight-year-old Simon who worked for an Italian food chain in Herat province of Afghanistan was abducted by unknown militants in October last year. He was reported to have died in the custody of his abductors in February 2009.
The abductors had demanded a ransom of US 50, 000 dollars, and killed him when they did not get the money.
Simon’’s family blames the Indian Government for not taking steps to save their national.
“Overseas Minister Vayalar Ravi did not pay any attention towards our predicament. The Tamil Nadu Government also did not take any steps and External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee even said that militants were responsible for his kidnapping, but did not do anything to save him. The Indian Government has led us down. We are completely ruined,” said Subramanyam, Simon’’s brother.
Simon is survived by his wife and two children.
Simon is one of many Indians to have been killed in Afghanistan so far. (ANI)
- Symbolic funeral held for Indian worker killed in Afghanistan - Feb 16, 2009
- Abducted Indian worker dies in Afghanistan (Second Lead) - Feb 09, 2009
- India confirms death of abducted citizen in Afghanistan - Feb 09, 2009
- Abducted Indian worker killed in Afghanistan (Lead) - Feb 09, 2009
- Taliban captors kill abducted Indian in Afghanistan - Feb 09, 2009
- 14 Taliban militants surrender in Afghanistan - Jan 10, 2012
- 30 Taliban surrender in Afghanistan - Jan 30, 2012
- Unease after ex-official's death in Taliban captivity - Jan 25, 2011
- Afghan education official shot dead - Jul 08, 2012
- Over 40 Taliban surrender in Afghanistan - Apr 26, 2012
- Four Afghans killed in land mine blast - Oct 24, 2011
- Six Taliban killed, 19 surrender in Afghanistan - Feb 13, 2012
- 11 Taliban killed in Afghanistan - Apr 01, 2012
- Government negotiating with kidnappers of Indian worker in Afghanistan: Ravi - Dec 26, 2008
- 15 Taliban militants killed in Afghanistan - Dec 31, 2011
Tags: abducted, abductors, afghanistan, brother simon, chennai, external affairs minister, external affairs minister pranab mukherjee, family members, food chain, hometown, indian government, indians, italian food, militants, pranab mukherjee, predicament, ransom, stricken relatives, taking steps, tamil nadu government