Family members of India’’s Miss World runner up celebrate her victoryDecember 14th, 2008 - 4:31 pm ICT by ANI
Changacherry (Kerala), Dec 14 (ANI): Family members and relatives of Parvathy Omankuttan, who was adjudged first runner-up in the Miss World 2008 pageant in Johannesburg, celebrated her victory at their ancestral house in Kottayam.
Parvathy’’s excited family members said they were actually expecting her to win the Miss World crown.
“I am very happy, but disappointed very much, because not only me, every one in the family expected that she will be getting the Miss World crown,” said Ashok Kumar, Parvathy’’s uncle. Julia Morley, the head of the Miss World committee today announced that Russia had won the Miss World 2008.
Miss Trinidad and Tobago Gabrielle Walcott was declared second runner-up. Among the other five finalists were Ms Angola Brigite Santos and Ms South Africa Tansey Coetzee.
Parvathy impressed the jury with her looks and quick wit and was one five finalists out of the 109 contestants at the Sandton Convention Center in Johannesburg. She was finally beaten by Miss Russia. The pageant was broadcast live to over one billion viewers in 187 countries.
Last year’’s Miss World was China’’s Zhang Zi Lin.
Originally scheduled for October 4 in Kiev, the pageant was delayed and moved to Johannesburg due to security concerns. (ANI)
- Ms Russia is Miss World ''08, Ms India 1st runnerup - Dec 14, 2008
- India's Parvathy is first runner-up at Miss World contest - Dec 14, 2008
- India's Parvathy first runner-up at Miss World contest, Miss Russia crowned (Lead) - Dec 14, 2008
- Angola's Leila Lopes is Miss Universe 2011 (Lead) - Sep 13, 2011
- Miss India Parvathy Omanakuttan is 1st runner-up at Miss World 2008 - Dec 14, 2008
- Mixed feelings at ancestral home of Parvathy Omanakuttan - Dec 14, 2008
- Miss Gibraltar Kaiane Aldorino crowned Miss World 2009 - Dec 13, 2009
- China's Wen Xia Yu wins Miss World 2012 title, Vanya Mishra loses (Lead) - Aug 18, 2012
- Bangalore Based Model Nicole Faria Crowned Miss Earth 2010 - Dec 07, 2010
- India makes it to top five at Miss Asia Pacific World - Oct 16, 2011
- 24-year-old manual scavenger wins beauty pageant - Nov 19, 2011
- Hard work finally paid off: India's Miss Asia Pacific finalist - Oct 17, 2011
- Miss World 2009 Finalists revealed - Dec 12, 2009
- Sadikshya Shrestha crowned Miss Nepal 2010 (Lead) - Sep 01, 2010
- Tenzin Norzom is Miss Tibet - Jun 07, 2010
Tags: ashok kumar, coetzee, family members, gabrielle walcott, johannesburg, julia morley, kerala, kiev, kottayam, miss russia, miss trinidad and tobago, miss world crown, one billion, sandton convention center, security concerns, tansey, today announced that, trinidad and tobago, world committee, zhang zi