Factional killings continue unabated in NagalandMay 6th, 2008 - 6:14 pm ICT by admin
By Vibou Ganguly
Kohima, May 6 (ANI): Dimapur, the commercial capital of Nagaland, has become a killing field of sorts on account of the factional killings which continues unabated.
In the last 48 hours, six people have been killed, including a student.
The bullet riddled body of the student of the Patkai Christian College, Dimapur, who hailed from Manipurs Ukhrul District was recovered by police from the Ghorapatty area of the town.
Dimapur and its surrounding areas are dominated by the Sumi Tribe which happens to be the backbone of National Socialist Council of Nagaland (NSCN-Unification).
On Sunday, two Unification cadres were killed by its rival Isak Muivah (IM) group at Merapani, a disputed area on the Assam-Nagaland border.
The Unification group took a decision on May 4 to go against the Tangkhuls under the command of V Tuccu, Akato Chophy and Keyakhu. The NSCN (U) is determined to have an upper hand in NSCN (IM) dominated Tangkhuls from Ukhrul District.
In a statement issued on Tuesday, the NSCN (IM) said the killings in Dimapur were the beginning of an ethnic cleansing operation launched by the Unification group. (ANI)
- Nagaland government appeals for calling off blockade - Aug 21, 2012
- Nagaland returning to normalcy - Sep 03, 2012
- Manipur not to allow Naga leader Muivah's visit - May 02, 2010
- Army stages flag march in Nagaland - Sep 02, 2012
- Fresh round of talks with NSCN-IM Tuesday in Nagaland - May 31, 2010
- Rebel Naga group ousts its chief - Jun 08, 2011
- Manipur hit by shortage of essentials, life saving drugs - May 09, 2010
- Peace talks between NSCN (IM) leader and Centre held - Jun 02, 2010
- Rival factions of Nagaland end hostilities - Sep 21, 2010
- Naga women's body agitates in Manipur - Feb 09, 2012
- Protestors stage sit-ins over proposed visit of Naga leader - May 10, 2010
- Protest in Manipur against Naga leader's visit - May 16, 2010
- NSCN leader Muivah's Delhi visit brings hope of peace among Nagas - Mar 07, 2010
- NSCN (IM) leaders positive about Naga solution - Mar 12, 2011
- Muivah defers Manipur visit after supporters clash with cops (Lead) - May 06, 2010