Extract of the plant cat’’s claw may harbour dengue cureDecember 3rd, 2008 - 6:57 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, December 3 (ANI): A plant from the Amazon region called the cats claw has been found to be effective in combating dengue.
Reports appearing in the Brazilian media say that experiments involving an advanced extract of cat’’s claw (uncaria tomentosa) have shown promise to prevent inflammation caused by dengue fever.
Scientists at the Oswaldo Cruz Foundation, which is affiliated with the Brazilian Health Ministry, reckon that a new medicine based on this natural extract may be ready shortly.
The researchers have revealed that the substance extracted from the cat’’s claw directly involves in the production of proteins needed to respond to the inflammatory effect caused by dengue, which manages to prevent the worsening of the disease, reports chinaview.cn.
“This is one of several plants in which we have seen a preliminary result of inhibition of certain inflammatory factors that occur when dengue infects the body,” Sonia Kubelka Claire Reis, a researcher of the foundation, said.
Currently, there is no effective medicine to combat dengue fever, whose virus is transmitted by the Aedes aegypti mosquito. The only recommended treatment is hydration of patients as they recover. (ANI)
- "Mamatadidi MBBS" tackles dengue (West Bengal newsletter) - Sep 08, 2012
- Brazil to breed mosquitoes to fight dengue - Jul 09, 2012
- Pakistan to get insecticide from India to fight dengue - Sep 21, 2011
- Malaysia release of GM insects 'may create uncontrollable new species' - Jan 27, 2011
- Cuba develops mathematical models to fight dengue - Mar 24, 2012
- Coming soon: A trap to trick pregnant mosquitoes! - Dec 26, 2010
- New discovery could shrink dengue-spreading mosquito population - Dec 03, 2010
- Dengue fever grips Pakistani province - Sep 04, 2011
- Over 1,200 now down with dengue in Bengal - Sep 10, 2012
- Lahore dengue toll rises to 36 - Sep 18, 2011
- Dengue fever cases 'have more than doubled in the last decade' - Oct 17, 2010
- Can GM mosquitoes wipe out dengue? - Oct 24, 2010
- 'Travel, urbanisation have led to 50-fold rise in dengue cases' - Sep 17, 2012
- Delay in checking dengue in Bengal, says governor - Sep 11, 2012
- Mumbai doctor dies of dengue - Aug 23, 2010
Tags: aedes aegypti mosquito, amazon region, brazilian media, cats claw, dengue reports, fever, health ministry, inflammation, inhibition, mosquito, New Delhi, new medicine, oswaldo cruz foundation, plants, proteins, researcher, scientists, sonia, uncaria tomentosa, virus