External Affairs Ministry clarifies reported UNSC remarks attributed to KrishnaFebruary 12th, 2011 - 10:30 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Feb 12(ANI): In response to a query regarding External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna’s address yesterday at the United Nations Security Council (UNSC), it was clarified that the initial parts of all formal addresses contain salutation and courteous references.
“While Addressing the UNSC yesterday, EAM used such expressions from the address of the previous speaker before moving to his prepared text for substantive remarks,” External Affairs Ministry statement said.
“The Minister went on to make a well-received statement where he highlighted the relevance of the Indian success story to international efforts to meet the challenges of development, peace and security,” it added.
It was earlier reported that Krishna had mistakenly read out the speech of the Portuguese Minister at the UNSC meeting in New York.
It was said that Krishna kept reading the wrong speech for about three minutes before being corrected by India’s Ambassador to the UN Hardeep Singh Puri. (ANI)
- Krishna reads Portuguese minister's speech at UN, ministry downplays gaffe (Lead) - Feb 12, 2011
- Krishna reads Portuguese minister's speech at UN - Feb 12, 2011
- Krishna's UN faux pas has embarrassed India: BJP - Feb 12, 2011
- UN chief Ban Ki-moon arrives in India - Apr 26, 2012
- Krishna fumbles in house, booed by opposition - Aug 04, 2011
- Krishna to attend UNSC meeting in New York - Feb 09, 2011
- PM to leave for UN meet Sep 21 - Sep 20, 2011
- Nine ministers make a beeline for the US - Sep 23, 2011
- Don't read too much into Hurriyat meeting: Pakistan - Jul 27, 2011
- UN Security Council condemns Syria crackdown (Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- India looks forward to welcoming CWG guests: Krishna - Sep 28, 2010
- India, world will miss Bhimsen Joshi, says Krishna - Jan 24, 2011
- India denies envoy summoned by Bangladesh - Jul 03, 2011
- Frisking row: US assures Sikh delegation better sensitivity - Dec 15, 2010
- India voices concern to Pakistan on Hurriyat meeting - Jul 27, 2011
Tags: ambassador, challenges, expressions, external affairs minister, external affairs ministry, hardeep singh, international efforts, krishna, ministry statement, nations security council, peace, portuguese minister, relevance, salutation, success story, three minutes, united nations, united nations security, united nations security council, unsc remarks