Expelled Jammu and Kashmir legislators to support SangmaJuly 15th, 2012 - 2:15 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, July 15 (IANS) Seven legislators, who were expelled by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) for cross-voting in the Jammu and Kashmir legislative council elections last year, have pledged support to former Lok Sabha speaker P.A. Sangma in the July 19 presidential poll.
The decision was taken in a meeting here late Saturday, former BJP legislature party leader Chaman Lal Gupta said Sunday.
The BJP had won 11 assembly seats in the 2008 state elections, which was its highest ever tally in the House. However, seven of its 11 legislators were expelled for voting against the party candidate in the legislative council poll in April last year.
Sangma has been backed by the BJP for the post of president.
Besides BJP, the Jammu and Kashmir National Panthers Party, which has three seats in the assembly, is supporting Sangma.
United Progressive Alliance (UPA) presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee arrives in Srinagar Sunday to seek support.
The National Conference, an alliance partner in the ruling coalition in the state, and main opposition Peoples Democratic Party are supporting Mukherjee.
- Cross-voting in Karnataka setback to Sangma - Jul 22, 2012
- 'Cancel assembly memberships of expelled BJP legislators' - Feb 19, 2012
- BJP expels six Jammu and Kashmir legislators - Oct 09, 2011
- BJP loses faces in Karnataka as Pranab gets more votes (Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- BJP disqualifies six MLAs for cross-voting - Nov 18, 2011
- BJP stunned as Karnataka, Himachal, Jharkhand lawmakers cross-vote (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- BJP expels Jammu and Kashmir leader Chaman Lal Gupta (Lead) - Jun 01, 2011
- BJP issues disqualification notice to seven Kashmir legislators - May 24, 2011
- After cross-voting woes, Yeddyurappa takes on BJP, Sangma - Jul 23, 2012
- I will get more votes this time: Pranab - Jul 20, 2012
- We have not quit, BJP legislators tell Jammu and Kashmir speaker - Apr 22, 2011
- BJP to probe cross-voting in legislative council polls - Apr 14, 2011
- Jammu and Kashmir BJP legislator opposes action against him - May 08, 2011
- BJP expels Jammu and Kashmir leader Chaman Lal Gupta - Jun 01, 2011
- Sangma's tribal card draws bouquets, brickbats in Meghalaya - Jul 22, 2012
Tags: alliance partner, assembly seats, bharatiya janata party, bjp, chaman, council poll, gupta, kashmir, lal, legislative council elections, legislators, Lok Sabha, panthers party, party candidate, party leader, pranab mukherjee, presidential candidate, presidential poll, progressive alliance, state elections