Exodus continues from flood-affected BiharSeptember 1st, 2008 - 12:31 pm ICT by ANI
Saharsa/Patna/New Delhi, Sept 1 (ANI): People continue to flee flood-affected parts in Bihar for safer places, even as the authorities have stepped up the tempo of relief work.
At a railway station in New Delhi, hoards of migrants were seen on Sunday, sitting with their families and whatever they could collect in the name of belongings.
Recounting his harrowing experience, Mohammad Jabbar of Supaul District, where water breached the walls of thousands of dwellings, said that they first took the news of the floods in the region as a hoax. “In the beginning, we were not expecting the floods would create havoc. But once the floodwater began to gush into our locality, it soon reached dangerous level and everyone was fearful and the loss is unimaginable,” he said.
Meanwhile, Railway Minister Lalu Prasad has announced that the railways will not charge fare from flood victims if they want to move out.
“The Railways will not charge any fare from victims who want to leave for other stations. We have also arranged community kitchen services for people of flood-affected areas. Moreover, people still marooned in the floods, need to be immediately evacuated,” Prasad said during a visit to Saharsa District.
Relief continues to pour in with the help of the Indian Air Force in the form of food, medicines and tarpaulin sheets.
The flooding, said to be the worst in 50 years, was caused after an embankment of the Kosi River was breached in Nepal, from where it originates. This unleashed huge waves of water which smashed mud embankments downstream in Bihar.
The waters of the Kosi gushed into the state, inundating vast tracts and affecting around two million people. (ANI)
- Bihar flood situation grim as all rivers rise - Jul 07, 2011
- Rising Kosi floods dozens of Bihar villages - Jul 05, 2012
- Over half a million hit by Bihar floods - Jul 06, 2011
- Bihar cop fires on protesting flood victims, suspended - Aug 26, 2011
- Four years later, Kosi flood victims fight for survival - Aug 20, 2012
- More embankments to control floods in Bihar - Jul 05, 2011
- Will there be another Kosi disaster? - Nov 29, 2010
- Flood waters enter over 1,000 Bihar villages - Aug 20, 2011
- Bihar fears repeat of devastating floods - Jul 01, 2009
- 1.5 million affected in Bihar floods - Aug 22, 2011
- Fear of floods back in Bihar - Jul 01, 2011
- Bihar floods worsen, over 100 villages inundated - Jul 04, 2011
- Floods render thousands homeless in Bihar - Aug 21, 2011
- Fear of floods haunts Bihar - Jul 13, 2010
- Flood fears return to haunt Bihar - Jul 28, 2009