Exiled Tibetans observe candlelight vigil in DharamsalaMarch 1st, 2009 - 2:46 pm ICT by ANI
Dharamsala, Mar 1 (ANI): Hundreds of exiled Tibetans in Dharamsala participated in a candlelight march on Saturday to pay homage to a martyr of the Tibetan freedom struggle who had self-immolated himself during a prayer festival in China.
The monk was shot dead by the Chinese police.
Exiled Tibetans said they were concerned about the incident.
“A monk in Kirti monastery self-immolated and the greater concern for us is, that even though he was in flames, he was shot at by Chinese army people. So we are not sure whether we succeeded to shots or burns but, things in Tibet are getting really tense and unbearable for Tibetans living here,” said B. Tsering, president of the Tibetan Women’’s Association.
Matt Whitticase, a spokesman for the Free Tibet Campaign, said, “The monk immolated himself after walking out of a monastery in Aba County, an ethnic Tibetan area in Sichuan province. He was carrying a Tibetan flag with a picture of the Dalai Lama.”
The month of March marks the 50th anniversary of the exile of the Dalai Lama. The Tibetan spiritual leader had to flee Lhasa in 1959 after a failed insurrection against China. (ANI)
- 'Another monk has self-immolated in Tibet' - Jul 17, 2012
- Two self-immolations in Tibet - Mar 05, 2012
- US voices concern over monk's conviction in China - Sep 01, 2011
- Self-immolations in Tibet politically motivated: Lawmaker - May 16, 2012
- Self-immolation bids sign of overseas instigation: China - Oct 18, 2011
- Exiles predict more trouble in Tibet - Mar 17, 2012
- Tibetan nun sets herself on fire in China, dies - Nov 03, 2011
- China, not Dalai Lama, to be blamed for self-immolations: Sangay - Mar 10, 2012
- End repression in Tibet: Amnesty - Sep 29, 2011
- Dalai Lama joins prayers over Tibetan monastery stand-off - Apr 26, 2011
- Tibet situation grim, needs global intervention, say exiles - Feb 24, 2012
- End repression in Tibet, say exiles - Oct 10, 2011
- Mother of three immolates herself in Tibet - May 31, 2012
- Persuade China not to use force: Tibetan exiles - Apr 23, 2011
- US lawmakers concerned over rights violations in Tibet - Nov 18, 2011
Tags: 50th anniversary, candlelight march, candlelight vigil, chinese army, chinese police, dalai lama, dharamsala, free tibet campaign, freedom struggle, insurrection, martyr, monastery, month of march, sichuan province, tibetan area, tibetan flag, tibetan freedom, tibetan spiritual leader, tibetan women, tsering