Ex-Uttarakhand CM Koshiyari resigns from Rajya SabhaJune 17th, 2009 - 4:31 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 17 (ANI): Former Uttarakhand Chief Minister Bhagat Singh Koshiyari on Wednesday quit as Rajya Sabha member in an apparent bid to push for a leadership change in the BJP-ruled state.
“I have quit as a member of the Rajya Sabha. I have sent my resignation to the Chairman,” he told reporters here.
The senior BJP leader said he had resigned from the Upper House to devote more time to “resurrect” the party in the hill state where it lost at all the five Lok Sabha seats.
“I will work like an ordinary party worker to resurrect the BJP in Uttarakhand and take it to the victory path in the 2012 assembly elections,” he said.
The Koshiyari camp has been demanding resignation of Chief Minister B C Khanduri, but the BJP high command, which is grappling with the situation arising out of dissenting voices from some prominent central leaders, has been in favour of maintaining status quo.
With an atmosphere of political uncertainty prevailing in the state, the opposition Congress has demanded imposition of President’s rule saying infighting in the ruling BJP was hampering development process. (ANI)
- Koshiyari withdraws resignation from Rajya Sabha - Jun 19, 2009
- Khanduri again becomes Uttarkahand chief minister - Sep 11, 2011
- Uttarakhand BJP's Koshiyari quits as Rajya Sabha member - Jun 17, 2009
- BJP MPs to donate for Assam, Uttarakhand victims - Aug 14, 2012
- Khanduri steps down as Uttarakhand chief minister - Jun 23, 2009
- BJP seeks PM's intervention to save temple - Jul 07, 2012
- Ramesh Pokhriyal is new Uttarakhand chief minister (Lead) - Jun 24, 2009
- Khanduri steps down as Uttarakhand chief minister (Lead) - Jun 23, 2009
- Khanduri to be Uttarakhand chief minister again (Lead) - Sep 10, 2011
- Congress demands President's rule in Uttarakhand - Jun 15, 2009
- Uttarakhand CM Khandori asked to resign - Jun 23, 2009
- B. S Koshiyari withdraws resignation from Rajya Sabha - Jun 19, 2009
- Peaceful polling in Uttarakhand (Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Uttarakhand CM Khanduri likely to resign over poll debacle - May 19, 2009
- Uncertainty over government formation in Uttarakhand (Second Lead) - Mar 07, 2012
Tags: assembly elections, bhagat singh, bjp leader, central leaders, chief minister, dissenting voices, favour, imposition, infighting, leadership change, lok sabha seats, New Delhi, opposition congress, political uncertainty, rajya sabha, resignation, sabha member, senior bjp, upper house, uttarakhand