Ex-servicemen stage protest for ‘One Rank-One Pension’April 12th, 2009 - 9:26 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Apr 12 (ANI): Retired personnel of Indian defence services on Sunday staged a massive protest rally here, to express their anguish over Central Government’s delay over their long-pending demand for ‘One Rank-One Pension’.
Ex-servicemen of varying ranks also returned their medals to the government.
Their demand ‘One Rank-One Pension’ stipulates that irrespective of the date on which the soldier retires, he should get the same pension.
The former defence personnel have cited that in absence of ‘One Rank-One Pension’, anomalies in the pension of two persons of same rank arise and also there are instances of hundreds of war veterans drawing lower amount of pension as compared to personnel who retired in the recent past.
“Government should have fulfilled our demands by now, but still these are not met. After trying whatever we can, we have been forced to put forth our demand in public. We want to show our unity to the country and secondly at the end of the rally we will give advice, to vote for what particular party,” said Lieutenant General Raj Kadyan, Indian Ex- servicemen Movement (IESM) Chairman.
Capitalising on the demands voiced by the former uniformed personnel of defence forces, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has come forth to support their demand and in its election manifesto. The party has promised to implement the ‘One Rank-One Pension’ for ex-servicemen.
“We have promised in our manifesto that this pension will be tax free and the money that will be collected in the bank and the interest will have no income tax on it,” said V. K. Malhotra, senior Bharatiya Janata Party leader.
The movement has now intensified since the recommendations of the Sixth Pay Commission did not address the issue of ‘One Rank-One Pension’. (ANI)
- Ex-servicemen return medals over pension equality - Oct 25, 2009
- Provide more jobs to retired defence personnel: Antony - Jun 27, 2011
- Retired defence personnel demand hike in pension - Jul 11, 2010
- Ex-soldiers protest 'government betrayal' - Mar 06, 2011
- High-level panel formed to resolve defence pay disparity - Jul 13, 2012
- Ex-servicemen hold protest, demand equal pension (Lead) - Mar 14, 2010
- Congress official urges ex-servicemen not to return medals - Mar 18, 2010
- One-rank-one-pension not so soon: Antony - Aug 25, 2010
- Panel's report on defence pay anomalies on Wednesday - Aug 07, 2012
- Government accepts recommendations on ex-servicemen's pension - Mar 10, 2010
- Advani to hear grievances of retired soldiers - Mar 19, 2009
- PM has breached parliamentary propriety, says BJP - Mar 04, 2010
- 'Serious fraud probe' into ex-servicemen job scam - Sep 25, 2011
- Ex-servicemen hold protest, demand equal pension - Mar 14, 2010
- Advani promises one-rank one-pension for ex-defence personnel - Mar 16, 2009
Tags: absence of one, anguish, anomalies, bharatiya janata party, bjp, central government, defence forces, defence services, election manifesto, indian defence, lieutenant general, massive protest, New Delhi, party leader, protest rally, raj, rank one, stage protest, two persons, war veterans