Ex-goalie Negi ready to coach India’s women’s hockey teamJuly 22nd, 2010 - 6:01 pm ICT by ANI
By Anand Srivastava
Mumbai, July 22 (ANI): Mir Ranjan Negi, a former goal keeping coach of India’s women’s hockey team, is ready to take on the responsibility again after current coach M K Kaushik quit.
Talking to media persons in Mumbai, Negi said :
“As a coach, the nation’s prestige is in your hands. And there is no compromise for that. I think it is a very challenging assignment right now, when hockey is going through such a tough phase. But I think if I am given the responsibility, I will live up to it.”
Negi was the goalkeeper of the national squad till 1982. He said he could not believe the allegations hurled against Kaushik.
“Be it men’s hockey or women’s hockey, the game of hockey is going through a very bad phase. And incidents like this, reduces the morale of the players. And, it is true that hockey has been disgraced,” added Negi.
Meanwhile, former goalkeeper and captain of the women’s team, Helen Mary said that even though Kaushik was a great coach he would use foul language with the players.
“When I was there in the team, he (M K Kaushik) was very happy with the manager so he was not concerned about us. But he used to act very rudely with the players because she used to pin point the players, that she talks to him or they talk to the media. So he used to talk to us very harshly. When they came to know about Anurita, about all this, they removed her. Then all this started happening with the girls. Then the girls came out and all this nonsense came out. But this was happening before also,” recalled Mary.
On his part, Kaushik has dismissed the allegations by contending he was being framed in a sinister conspiracy.
Hockey India (HI) has set up a high-level committee comprising experts and former players to probe the matter.
The committee comprises of former hockey captains Zafar Iqbal and Ajit Pal Singh along with Sudarshan Pathak and Rajiv Mehta. (ANI)
- Hockey Controversy: Saini planning legal action against players - Jul 24, 2010
- Indian Hockey coach smells conspiracy in sexual misconduct allegations - Jul 21, 2010
- Gill promises impartial justice to women hockey players - Jul 26, 2010
- Probe panel submits report to Hockey India - Jul 23, 2010
- Sexual harassment charge: Teammates to be quizzed - Jul 22, 2010
- Panel submits report to HI on sexual harrasement charges (Lead) - Jul 23, 2010
- India's men's and women's hockey teams chasing Olympic dream - Feb 17, 2012
- Harendra hits out at Pargat, accuses him of match-fixing - Aug 18, 2011
- Gill for CBI probe of sex scandal in women's hockey - Jul 22, 2010
- Hockey India handled sexual harassment case in childish manner: Pargat - Jul 26, 2010
- Healthy competition benefiting India's hockey goalkeepers - Feb 13, 2012
- Hockey squad picked on performance not reputation: Nobbs - Jan 31, 2012
- Kaushik raises doubts over Hockey India probe - Jul 26, 2010
- Olympics: Triple jumpers fail, hockey team's pathetic show continues (India roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Zafar finds hockey player's allegations weak - Jul 21, 2010
Tags: ajit, allegations, compromise, foul language, goalkeeper, helen mary, hockey captains, hockey team, iqbal, kaushik, media persons, nonsense, pathak, prestige, rajiv mehta, ranjan negi, sinister conspiracy, srivastava, sudarshan, team helen