Even nuclear bunker has been hit by recession!December 8th, 2008 - 5:04 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 8 (ANI): It can withstand enemies attack, but a nuclear bunker failed to protect itself from the dreading effects of the financial credit crisis.
The auctioneers were forced to trim down more than 40,000 pounds from the asking price of the secure shelter underneath the Hampshire Downs despite its potential of converting into an eight-bedroom home, reports the Telegraph.
The 7,000 square feet nuclear bunker outside Twyford, near Winchester, which was priced at more than 300,000 pounds, is now up for sale for a price between 240,000 pounds and 260,000 pounds.
The facility, covered by 2ft thick concrete walls and six-inch deep steel doors, was decommissioned in 1997 and has been used as office space.
Kevin Gilbert, of Clive Emson Auctioneers, said it could be converted into “a fantastic hobbit-style residence” but admitted the work would cost a lot of money.
The property has water, electricity and a kitchen and a car park that could be turned into a garden.
It will be sold at auction on 16 December. (ANI)
- Elvis Presley's memoirs to be up for grabs - Jul 26, 2010
- Nuclear bomb shelter put on sale - Oct 22, 2010
- Britain's 'earliest hospital' discovered in Hampshire - Oct 21, 2010
- Bonnie and Clyde guns' auctioned for $210,000 - Jan 23, 2012
- Nearly 100-year-old India photos unearthed - Mar 17, 2010
- IPL auction: Christian top draw on a day of tactical bidding (Evening Lead) - Jan 09, 2011
- IPL auction: From a T20 start to tactical bidding (Afternoon Lead) - Jan 09, 2011
- Daniel Christian attracts big IPL money (Night Lead) - Jan 09, 2011
- Photo of Billy the Kid fetches $2.3 mn at auction - Jun 27, 2011
- Madonna's corset sold for 45,000 pounds - Oct 27, 2011
- US making powerful bomb to hit Iran: Report - Jan 28, 2012
- First Generation Apple Computer Can Fetch $160,000 From Auction - Nov 13, 2010
- Monroe's items set auction on fire - Dec 18, 2011
- Christian tops list on day two of IPL auction (Lead) - Jan 09, 2011
- Britain's "most-haunted" house up for grabs - Sep 11, 2010
Tags: asking price, auction, car park, clive emson auctioneers, credit crisis, electricity, enemies, hampshire downs, hobbit, kevin gilbert, london, nuclear bunker, office space, recession, square feet, steel doors, telegraph, thick concrete walls, twyford, winchester