Evander Holyfields riches to rags sagaJune 7th, 2008 - 2:42 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, June 7 (ANI): Former world heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield is so broke that he has had to put his 10 million dollar estate in suburban Atlanta under foreclosure.
The mother of one of his children, who is suing him for unpaid child support, has further compounded his problems. A Utah consulting company has also gone to court claiming the boxer failed to pay back more than a half million dollars for landscaping.
A legal notice that ran on Wednesday in a small local newspaper said Holyfield’s estate will be auctioned off “at public outcry to the highest bidder for cash” at the Fayette County courthouse on July 1, The Daily Telegraph reported.
The 5,000-square metres home - located on Evander Holyfield Highway - has 109 rooms, including 17 bathrooms, three kitchens and a bowling alley.
Meanwhile, Holyfield’s handlers allegedly told the mother of one of his children that he would no longer be able to make his 3,000-dollar-a-month support payment.
Toi Irvin claims the boxer has already missed two payments, so she has gone to court seeking restitution.
Holyfield, the only four-time heavyweight champion, has at least nine children.
Holyfield’s apparent financial problems are a familiar story in boxing.
Joe Louis kept fighting well past his prime trying to pay off a crushing tax debt. Sugar Ray Robinson admitted he was broke by the time his long career ended.
Mike Tyson has squandered most of the vast fortune he accumulated during a career that included two memorable fights with Holyfield.
Holyfield has likely made hundreds of millions of dollars during his 24-year boxing career, including a reported $US34 million ($A35.5 million) for his second bout with Tyson in 1997, the infamous “Bite Fight” that ended with Tyson being disqualified for gnawing off a chunk of Holyfield’s ear.
At the time, it was the richest fight in boxing history. (ANI)
- Mike Tyson turns vegetarian - May 13, 2010
- I'll retire if I don't get fights: Holyfield - Sep 12, 2012
- Boxing great Holyfield's wife receives restraining order against him - Feb 12, 2010
- Ex-boxing champ Tyson to become a missionary to earn respect from his kids - Aug 16, 2010
- Iron Mike's heart not in boxing anymore, says Holyfield ruling out re-match - Sep 17, 2010
- Mike Tyson becomes a vegan - Jul 29, 2010
- Boxer Evander Holyfield forced to move out of his foreclosed home - Jul 10, 2012
- Evander Holyfield's Wife Accuses Him Of Physical Abuse - Feb 12, 2010
- Mike Tyson welcomes his new baby Morocco Elijah Tyson - Jan 28, 2011
- Boxing great Holyfield agrees for marriage counselling after allegedly beating wife - Feb 14, 2010
- 'I'm done with boxing', says Mike Tyson - Oct 28, 2010
- Holyfield says he's "going to be undisputed world heavyweight champ" - Apr 12, 2010
- Tyson sued for 115 million dollars over "Iron Mike" nickname - Aug 06, 2010
- Mike Tyson suggests kids to 'walk away' from bullies - May 10, 2010
- Is Iron Mike making a come back? - Mar 11, 2010
Tags: bowling alley, champion evander holyfield, consulting company, daily telegraph, evander holyfield, fayette county courthouse, former world heavyweight champion, highest bidder, joe louis, memorable fights, mike tyson, public outcry, riches to rags, square metres, suburban atlanta, sugar ray robinson, tax debt, time heavyweight champion, unpaid child support, world heavyweight champion