European Union delegation visits KashmirNovember 24th, 2009 - 9:06 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Nov 24 (IANS) A five-member European Union (EU) delegation arrived here Tuesday on a two-day visit to assess the situation and understand the problems faced by the people of Jammu and Kashmir.
The EU delegation called on some senior separatist leaders and also interacted with human rights activists here.
The delegation comprises of Swedish Ambassador Lars Olof Lindgren, Belgian Ambassador Jean M. Deboutte, Spanish Ambassador Ion de la Riva, Second Secretary (Political Affairs) in the Swedish embassy Oscar Schlyter and EU Ambassador Danielle.
The delegation called on Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) chairman Muhammad Yasin Malik earlier Tuesday.
Malik told the delegation that the people of Kashmir wanted total independence. He also highlighted human rights violations in the state.
When some reporters asked the Swedish ambassador the purpose of his visit to Kashmir, he said: “We visit different parts of India to understand the problems faced by the people there.”
The EU delegation felt that the human rights situation was not ideal in the state, but added that “things are moving in the positive direction”.
Later, the EU delegation met Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, the moderate Hurriyat group’s chief.
Farooq reportedly informed the EU delegation about the human rights situation in Kashmir and also stressed the need for a peaceful settlement of the Kashmir problem.
The EU delegates also told reporters that they had met some senior army and police officials to have a first hand account about the security situation in the state.
- European Union team meets separatist Kashmir leaders - Nov 25, 2009
- Jammu and Kashmir is an integral part of India: EU delegation - Nov 26, 2009
- EU delegation meets Yasin Malik - May 13, 2011
- EU delegation meets Kashmiri separatist leaders - Apr 19, 2010
- Mirwaiz, Malik not to meet all-party team - Sep 20, 2010
- Swedish ex-envoy to head defence firm Saab in India - Aug 29, 2012
- Kashmir: All-party delegation to visit Tangmarg, hospitals today - Sep 21, 2010
- Jammu and Kashmir seeks EU help to tackle unemployment - Feb 28, 2009
- Swedish embassy launches solar power system - Jan 12, 2012
- Jammu-Kashmir political parties urge Centre to reach alienated sections of State - Sep 20, 2010
- Mirwaiz, Yasin Malik want Kashmir committees be set up in India, Pakistan - Sep 20, 2010
- Parliamentarians, civil society members meet Mirwaiz - Dec 04, 2010
- Kashmiri separatists to meet Khar in Delhi - Jul 26, 2011
- Mirwaiz, Malik not to meet MPs' team, list dialogue conditions (Lead) - Sep 20, 2010
- Only dialogue can solve Kashmir problem: Jethmalani - Jun 02, 2011
Tags: delegation visits, human rights activists, human rights situation, human rights violations, hurriyat, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kashmir liberation, kashmir problem, liberation front, peaceful settlement, police officials, political affairs, positive direction, separatist leaders, spanish ambassador, swedish ambassador, swedish embassy, umer, union delegation