EU naval mission thwarts pirate attack off SomaliaJanuary 2nd, 2009 - 9:22 pm ICT by IANS
Athens, Jan 2 (RIA Novosti) A European Union (EU) naval mission has thwarted an attempt by pirates to hijack a Greek tanker off the Somalian coast, the Greek merchant marine ministry said Friday. The Kriti Episkopi tanker was sailing under the Greek flag in the Gulf of Aden near the coast of Somalia when the pirates tried to seize the vessel at around 9.50 a.m. Friday, the ministry said, adding that there were six Greek sailors among the crewmembers of the vessel.
According to the minisry, the captain of the ship managed to escape a boat with armed pirates by maneuvering the ship and sending an SOS. A Spanish warplane and a Dutch frigate then reached the site to scare off the pirates.
Pirates have been increasingly active in the waters off Somalia, where over 120 ships have been attacked so far this year. Around 40 vessels have been seized.
The navies of at least 10 countries are involved in anti-piracy operations off the coast of the East African nation.
The UN Security Council adopted a resolution in December authorizing countries and multinational organisations involved in tackling piracy to “under take all necessary measures in Somalia, including in its airspace” to prevent “acts of piracy and armed robbery at sea”.
The UN resolution, which was drafted by the US, will be in force for one year.
- Indian warship thwarts pirate attack on Greek vessel - Jul 19, 2011
- Indian marine commandos chase pirate ship away from Arabian Sea - Nov 30, 2010
- UN Security Council adopts resolution to try Somali pirates - Apr 28, 2010
- Hostage crisis: Navy rushes warship to Somali coast - Apr 18, 2011
- Somali pirates release Greek ship, then hijack another - Jan 17, 2011
- Greek tanker fights off pirates in Arabian Sea (Lead) - Dec 01, 2009
- ASEM-8 leaders favour more sharing of intelligence inputs to curb sea piracy - Oct 06, 2010
- South Korea to join India-China-Japan anti-piracy patrols (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- UN chief appalled by Somali pirates' killing of Americans - Feb 23, 2011
- Another menacing pirate mother vessel neutralized by Indian Navy and Coast Guard - Feb 06, 2011
- Indian Govt. mulling idea of having armed guards on merchant ships - Mar 15, 2011
- Indian dhows sail to Somalia for commercial considerations: navy - Apr 13, 2010
- Somali pirates seize ship with 12 crew - Sep 25, 2010
- NATO task force frees Italian ship seized by pirates - Oct 12, 2011
- Pirates free Russian tanker crew after stealing petrol - Aug 31, 2012