EU delegation meets Kashmiri separatist leadersApril 19th, 2010 - 10:02 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, April 19 (IANS) A delegation from four European Union (EU) countries Monday met Kashmiri separatist leaders, including hardliner Syed Ali Geelani and moderate Mirwaiz Umer Farooq here.
The EU delegation comprising members from Finland, Denmark, Norway and Sweden met Geelani, the chairman of the breakaway hardline Hurriyat group, at his uptown Hyderpora residence.
“Geelani apprised the EU delegates of the latest situation here and also drew their attention to the growing human rights violations in Kashmir by the Indian security forces,” a spokesman of the group said here.
The delegates - Lisa Valjeto (Finland), Aslak Brunn (Norway), Danny Anan (Denmark) and Andres Sjoberg (Sweden) - reached here Sunday on a three-day visit.
Earlier, the EU members met Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, who heads the moderate Hurriyat group in Srinagar.
A spokesman of the Mirwaiz Hurriyat group said that Mirwaiz Umer Farooq told the EU delegates all international disputes could be resolved through a dialogue, but India’s approach to the resolution of the Kashmir problem was “negative”.
The EU delegates also met Muhammad Yasin Malik, chairman of the pro-freedom, Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) Sunday.
A statement issued by the JKLF said: “JKLF chairman urged the EU countries to prevail on India so that the Kashmir problem was resolved in a peaceful manner.”
“World believes in dialogue. The transformation of the Kashmiri struggle from violence to non-violence must be acknowledged by the international community,” it said.
- Kashmir participation must in India-Pakistan dialogue: Geelani - Jul 26, 2011
- Separatists push Pakistan on Kashmir, divided on dialogue (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Kashmir must join India-Pakistan dialogue: Separatists (Second Lead) - Jul 26, 2011
- Geelani, Mirwaiz placed under house arrest - May 27, 2011
- Shutdown in Srinagar on JKLF founder's death anniversary - Feb 11, 2011
- EU delegation meets Yasin Malik - May 13, 2011
- Thousands join funeral of slain Kashmiri religious leader - Apr 08, 2011
- Kashmiri separatists to meet Khar in Delhi - Jul 26, 2011
- Chinks in Mirwaiz-led Hurriyat Conference? - May 07, 2012
- Thousands offer Eid prayers in Kashmir peacefully - Aug 31, 2011
- Only dialogue can solve Kashmir problem: Jethmalani - Jun 02, 2011
- MPs, civil society members to break Kashmir ice - Dec 03, 2010
- Mirwaiz meets European Union delegation - Apr 20, 2010
- Kashmir separatists, common man welcome Amnesty report - Mar 21, 2011
- Autonomy no solution to Kashmir problem: Mirwaiz Farooq - Aug 13, 2010
Tags: anan, breakaway, eu countries, geelani, human rights violations, indian security forces, international disputes, jammu, jklf, kashmir, kashmir problem, kashmiri struggle, liberation front, manner world, muhammad yasin, peaceful manner, separatist leaders, sjoberg, umer, yasin malik