EU delegation calls on Omar AbdullahMay 12th, 2011 - 11:17 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, May 12 (IANS) A European Union (EU) delegation met Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah here Thursday evening, and discussed the socio-economic and political developments in the state during the hour-long interaction.
The delegation comprised of EU ambassador to India Daniele Smadja, Ireland ambassador Kenneth Thompson, Belgium ambassador Pierre Vaesan, first secretary of the EU delegation Philipp Gross and attache of the delegation Anne Vaugier-Chatterjee.
Omar Abdullah briefed the delegation about the measures taken by his government to ensure equitable and all-round development in the state, with special emphasis on backward and remote areas.
He also talked about the new initiatives taken by his government for skill development and enhancing employability of youth.
“The chief minister made a special mention of the government’s efforts in the sectors of power, education, healthcare, road communication, water supply, agriculture, horticulture, industries and tourism,” an official statement here said.
“Harnessing of state’s rich hydro electric potential and bio-diversity for economic gains and welfare of the people were also discussed in the meeting.
“The chief minister detailed the measures in place for the infrastructure development in tourism sector. He also gave a resume of the initiatives taken to diversify the tourism sector showcasing new areas of interest including adventure, sports and pilgrim tourism,” the statement added.
Omar Abdullah also told the EU delegation about the steps being taken by the central and state governments to restore peace and bring political stability in the state, official sources here said.
- EU delegation meets Yasin Malik - May 13, 2011
- Australian envoy meets Omar Abdullah - Apr 14, 2011
- Finland offers Kashmir help in harnessing renewable energy - Jun 12, 2011
- Omar for financially self-reliant Jammu and Kashmir - Apr 24, 2012
- 'Rich tourist infrastructure necessary for J-K tourism sector's development' - Apr 17, 2011
- Gorkhaland team meets Bengal governor - Aug 22, 2012
- India-Pakistan ties have direct bearing on Kashmir: Omar - Apr 25, 2012
- Tourism can boost Kashmir's economic development: Omar - Dec 31, 2011
- Rahul promises equal development of Kashmir - Sep 28, 2011
- J&K; to get planning board this year: Omar - Jul 22, 2012
- Jammu and Kashmir seeks EU help to tackle unemployment - Feb 28, 2009
- Kashmir opposition slams Omar's list of 2011 achievements - Dec 31, 2011
- Make preparations for more tourists in 2012: Omar Abdullah - Jan 23, 2012
- EU helping India to frame waste management policy - Jul 01, 2010
- EU to help Indian firms with clean technologies - Feb 17, 2011
Tags: adventure sports, attache, bio diversity, chatterjee, daniele, delegation, economic gains, employability, horticulture industries, hydro electric, infrastructure development, kashmir chief minister, kenneth thompson, political developments, political stability, power education, skill development, srinagar, state governments, tourism sector