Eric Clapton says he can rid Gazza of his booze addictionSeptember 23rd, 2008 - 4:36 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sep 23 (ANI): Reformed rock star Eric Clapton wants booze-soaked Paul Gascoigne to dry out at his island rehab clinic.
The guitarist, who has beaten heroin and alcohol addictions, is horrified by the plight of drunken Gazza, The Sun reported.
Last week police cautioned the former England football hero for smashing a fans mobile phone.
Gascoigne has been sectioned this year as well as going in and out of rehab. He is now living in a pub in Dunston, near Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, where he spends the day boozing and hustling pool.
Family and friends were horrified by a video of the drunken star bragging how he had tried to pinch two billion pounds from the Pope.
Clapton, 63, who has devoted his life to helping fellow addicts since quitting booze 21 years ago, wants Gazza to check in to his exclusive six-bed Crossroads treatment centre in Antigua, West Indies.
Staffs at the rahab are convinced that they can get the star off drink and teach him how to stay sober.
After we featured the video footage of Gazza rambling, clinic representatives contacted the Daily Star in a bid to track Gazza down. The foundation will even pay for the troubled stars plane ticket.
In 1998 he opened his treatment clinic in Antigua. Its 15,000 pounds six-week residential rehab course involves massage, hydrotherapy and acupuncture. Patients are taught to use the AA programme to confront their demons and rebuild their lives.
A foundation spokesman said: Through abstinence and improvement in lifestyle, people and families have the capacity to recover from addiction. (ANI)
- HobNob munching Gazza says cheating death in crash beat booze addiction - Aug 21, 2010
- Gazza hallucinates about Pope, marrying Bushs daughter - Sep 22, 2008
- 'Sick man' Gazza wants 12-week rehab programme to work - Jul 22, 2010
- Eric Clapton raised more than $1.7m after auctioning off instruments - Mar 10, 2011
- No end to 'glazed and legless' Gazza's drinking woes - Nov 05, 2010
- Gazza's eight-week jail sentence suspended by Newcastle court - Dec 10, 2010
- Gazza accused of 'groping shopgirl' - Jul 20, 2010
- Gazza ticked off after street kick about with nephew - Aug 24, 2010
- Eric Clapton to sell part of his guitar collection for Crossroads Centre - Dec 10, 2010
- Gazza checks into rehab again - Jul 15, 2010
- Gazza, Greaves, to undertake stage show - Mar 24, 2011
- Drunk Gascoigne taken to hospital after trashing Brit hotel with curry, puke and stubs - Oct 27, 2010
- Gazza has no hopes left; friend predicts death within a year - Jun 07, 2009
- Maradona offers to help Gazza kick booze habit - Mar 21, 2009
- Take That ban alcohol on tour - Jul 22, 2010
Tags: abstinence, alcohol addictions, antigua west indies, booze, daily star, dunston, england football, eric clapton, fellow addicts, football hero, hydrotherapy, paul gascoigne, plane ticket, pool family, rahab, rehab clinic, rock star, staffs, troubled stars, video footage