EPFO retains 8.5percent on PF for current fiscalJuly 4th, 2009 - 5:40 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi July 4 (ANI): A crucial meeting of the Central Board of Trustees (CBT) of Employees Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) has decided to retain the 8.5 percent interest rate return on provident fund contributions.
The decision has come on expected lines as payment of a higher rate of interest than 8.5 percent would have resulted in a deficit in the EPFO’s account.
The EPFO’s highest policymaking body chaired by Labour Minister Mallikarjun Kharge decided to retain the 8.5percent interest on employees provident fund for the fifth consecutive year. Over 4.5 crore employees are expected to gain from today’s decision.
The decision of the CBT which came just two days before the presentation of general budget is expected to leave a surplus of Rs 6.4 crore during the current fiscal. CBT has sent its decision to Finance Ministry for the approval.
According to sources, the EPFO has no reserves left to pay a higher interest rate than 8.5 per cent in this fiscal as it had suffered a Rs 139-crore deficit during 2008-09 for maintaining the same rate of interest on deposits.(ANI)
- Employee provident fund raised to 9.5 percent - Sep 15, 2010
- EPFO meeting to decide rate of interest on PF today - Jul 04, 2009
- EPFO defers decision on PF interest rate - Apr 09, 2010
- PF returns at 8.5 percent for sixth year in row - Feb 28, 2010
- Kharge hopes EPF interest rate will be hiked to 9.5 percent - Feb 16, 2011
- EPO fund to settle claims at 9.5 percent - Apr 28, 2011
- Employees Provident Fund approves Reliance-Nippon stake deal - Aug 07, 2012
- Labour Minister Kharge chairs 193rd central board of trustees meeting - Mar 30, 2011
- Invest 5 percent of provident fund in equities: Assocham - Oct 04, 2009
- Himachal's fiscal liabilities up 46 percent: CAG - Apr 06, 2012
- EPF Board of Trustees recommends 8.5 percent rate of interest - Feb 22, 2009
- EPF interest rate remains unchanged - Feb 23, 2009
- Prominent highlights of 2012-13 budget - Mar 16, 2012
- Budget highlights 8 - Mar 16, 2012
- Highlights of Indian central bank's monetary policy update - Jul 26, 2011
Tags: board of trustees, budget, employees provident fund, employees provident fund organisation, epfo, fifth consecutive year, fund contributions, interest rate, july 4, labour minister, New Delhi, policymaking body, rate of interest, rs 6