Enid Blytons Noddy golliwogs fuel race row in BritainOctober 31st, 2008 - 4:20 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 31 (ANI): A shop dedicated to Enid Blyton, the famous children writer, has come under fire, after it started selling golliwogs.
Viv Endecott, who owns the Ginger Pop shop in Dorset village, has received complaints urging her to stop selling the rag dolls.
However, Endecott defends herself, insisting that the dolls are nothing but mere soft toys synonymous with Enid Blytons characters like Noddy.
Endecott, who is of Indian origin revealed that she has faced racism, and she does not have ay such motive behind the dolls.
The owner also revealed that there is a great demand for dolls in the village, as she has already sold 500 odd dolls, and inspite of complaints she would not remove the dolls.
The 47-year-old received an anonymous complaint note, which she has put on public display.
“The note had been pushed under the door one night. I felt annoyed, mainly because whoever wrote it didn”t put their name to it. I thought the best way to gauge people’’s reaction to it was to place the note in the window alongside some golliwogs and the general reaction has been ”is that for real? Around here it is accepted that a golliwog is a soft toy associated with Enid Blyton. I genuinely think most people don”t associate them with black people, The Sun quoted Viv, as saying.
“There is plenty of real racism to get worked up about than to argue over the merits of a soft toy. I suffered real racism at school so I don”t need any lessons on it, she added. (ANI)
- Noddy to return to Toyland without Mr. Golliwog - Oct 19, 2009
- Noddy comes to India! - Jul 13, 2012
- Enid Blyton is Liz Hurley's biggest literary influence - Oct 27, 2010
- Enid Blyton's unseen novel 'Mr Tumpy's Caravan' discovered - Feb 23, 2011
- Oz store removes golliwogs from display to avoid offending Oprah - Dec 09, 2010
- Enid Blyton may have been a Nazi sympathiser - Jan 04, 2010
- Brit Tory couple outraged at suspension over posting pictures with golliwog dolls on Facebook - Mar 23, 2011
- Enid Blyton joins JK Rowling, Dan Brown in Amazon's best-selling authors list - Dec 17, 2009
- Enid Blyton falls out of children's top ten authors list - Dec 17, 2010
- Barbie Doll Camera Boycott Urged By Psychologists - Nov 02, 2010
- Iran shutting down shops selling Barbies? - Jan 22, 2012
- Online sex shops booming in China - Jul 10, 2010
- Queen apologises for selling racist golliwog dolls in her stores - Feb 05, 2009
- Enid Blyton's Famous Five's 'jolly japes', 'dirty tinkers' soon to be history - Jul 24, 2010
- Carter to play Enid Blyton - Mar 07, 2009
Tags: britain london, dorset village, enid blyton, enid blytons, ginger, ginger pop, golliwog, golliwogs, indian origin, inspite, merits, motive, noddy, oct 31, pop shop, racism, rag dolls, soft toy, soft toys, sun