Enhanced literacy will positively impact the delivery development programmes: PresidentSeptember 8th, 2008 - 8:25 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Sept 8 (ANI): Emphasizing the role of literacy and education in overall human development, President Pratibha Devisingh Patil today said that literacy and education confer a wide set of benefits not only on individuals and families but also on the communities as a whole.
In her speech on the occasion of International Literacy Day here today at Vigyan Bahwan, the President said, Social benefits arise on account of better knowledge and awareness that literacy gives. This helps in improving implementation of social welfare programmes, fighting social evils and in building tolerant societies.
Patil said that literacy empowers people economically and politically. But, the most important are human benefits as literacy enhances an individuals self esteem and confidence levels, she said.
The President called upon the Central Government and State Governments to give high attention to literacy as a vital instrument for achieving inclusive growth and sustainable development.
She has also called upon all civil society organizations to support the National Literacy Mission.
Enhanced literacy will positively impact the delivery of our manifold development programmes under the National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme, National Rural Health Mission, Sarva Siksha Abhiyan and Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission, Patil said, and added that literacy will also impact the functioning of the panchayati raj institutions and self-help groups. (ANI)
- Sonia launches National Rural Livelihood Mission (Lead) - Jun 03, 2011
- Teach girls martial arts for self-protection: President - Nov 02, 2011
- Adult education programme can benefit from literacy drive - Nov 29, 2010
- Fruits of growing Indian economy not being enjoyed by all: Mukherjee - Apr 08, 2011
- Government will universalise secondary education: Patil - Feb 21, 2011
- National livelihood mission to rural raise workers's skills - Jun 03, 2011
- Modi using literacy drive funds for own publicity: Congress - Jun 14, 2011
- Prioritise literacy to build tolerant society: President - Sep 08, 2008
- 'Extend rural job scheme to urban areas' - Mar 15, 2012
- Alka Yagnik, Javed Akhtar unveil literacy anthem - Sep 04, 2012
- President Patil pitches on the need to produce world-class human resource - Dec 10, 2010
- Budget promises more money for all - farmers to corporates (Third Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
- Sonia launches livelihood mission for rural poor - Jun 03, 2011
- Assam to get $2.5 mn from UN body for rural hygiene - Sep 18, 2011
- Himachal to achieve total sanitation programme by March 31 - Jan 15, 2011
Tags: civil society organizations, international literacy day, jawaharlal nehru, manifold development, national literacy, national rural health, national rural health mission, panchayati raj institutions, sarva siksha abhiyan, social evils