Engineer injured in Srinagar blast diesMarch 1st, 2011 - 4:11 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, March 1 (IANS) An assistant executive engineer died in hospital Tuesday, a day after he was critically injured in a grenade explosion in the Jammu and Kashmir summer capital.”Showkat Ali Khan, an assistant executive engineer of the state roads and buildings department, who had been injured in yesterday’s grenade explosion in Batmaloo area of the city, succumbed to injuries in the hospital Tuesday morning,” a senior police officer said here.
Khan, two cops and a civilian were injured Monday evening in Batmaloo when separatist guerrillas hurled a grenade at a police party outside the fire services headquarters.
Earlier in the day, guerrillas had killed a contractor in Kreeri town of north Kashmir’s Baramulla district.
On Sunday, Muhammad Ayoub Wani, a truck driver was killed by suspected guerrillas in south Kashmir’s Kakapora town of Pulwama district when he was going home after evening prayers at a local mosque. Two brothers of Wani are serving the state police department as constables.
While police and intelligence agencies are still establishing the actual motive behind Wani’s murder, the fresh spurt of violence in the valley is being interpreted as attempts to revive violence here as the cold winter season is nearing its end.
A senior intelligence officer here said without agreeing to be named, “The militants are likely to increase their activities as the weather improves in the valley.
“The objective is to stoke trouble after relative peace during the last four months. Inputs also suggest the separatists could make attempts to vitiate the law and order situation in the coming months.”
- One killed, four injured in Kashmir (Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
- Five civilians injured in Kashmir - Aug 25, 2011
- Four attacks injure four in Kashmir - Oct 25, 2011
- Seven injured in Kashmir grenade attack - Aug 08, 2012
- Militants kill truck driver in Kashmir - Feb 27, 2011
- Terrorist-stone pelter nexus unearthed in Kashmir - Dec 19, 2010
- One civilian injured in grenade attack in Kashmir - Jan 27, 2012
- Guerrilla module busted in Srinagar - Aug 22, 2012
- Three arrested for Maulana Showkat killing (Lead) - Apr 16, 2011
- Grenade explosion in Srinagar - Feb 16, 2012
- Militants blow up rail track in Kashmir (Lead) - Apr 02, 2010
- Heavy security in Kashmir ahead of I-Day - Aug 13, 2011
- Grenade blasts rock Sopore town in Kashmir - Feb 02, 2011
- Huge cache of arms, ammunition recovered in Kashmir - Apr 19, 2010
- Guerrillas kill cop in Srinagar - Sep 28, 2011
Tags: ali khan, ayoub, buildings department, cold winter season, constables, executive engineer, fire services, grenade explosion, intelligence agencies, intelligence officer, jammu, kashmir, north kashmir, relative peace, separatist guerrillas, separatists, south kashmir, state police department, state roads, tuesday morning