Encounter specialist ACP Rajbir Singh shot dead in GurgaonMarch 25th, 2008 - 10:55 am ICT by admin
New Delhi, Mar 25 (ANI): Delhi Police (DP) encounter specialist Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) Rajbir Singh was gunned down allegedly by a property dealer on Mehrauli-Gurgaon (MG) Road late last night.
Rajbir Singh, posted with Special Operations Squad of the Delhi Police Crime Branch, was allegedly shot dead by Vijay Bharadwaj, a property dealer near Sukhrali village in Gurgaon.
Rajbir was the recipient of the President’s Medal for Bravery several times. After several encounters carried by him, he was given Z category security cover.
However, he wasnt accompanied by his security when the incident occurred, which is believed to have taken place around 10:30 p.m. on Monday and the Gurgaon Police informed their Delhi counterparts around midnight.
A Delhi Police team had been sent to the spot to verify details.
Gurgaon Police Commissioner Mahendra Lal confirmed the incident.
Police sources say that the motive behind the incident was a dispute over property on MG Road, which is worth several crores.
The ACP was shifted from the crime branch to Delhi Armed Police after allegations of his involvement in an illegal land deal last year. However, he was given a clean chit after a vigilance probe and posted to head the special anti-terror cell of crime branch in November last year.
ACP Rajbir Singh was the only officer in Delhi Polices history to be promoted to ACP in just 13 years. He joined Delhi Police as Sub-Inspector in 1982 and in 24 years had carried out over 56 encounters.
However, his rise is not without controversy. The encounter killing on November 3, 2002 when he gunned down two terrorists in the basement of Ansal Plaza in South Delhi has been controversial. (ANI)
- Suspect behind ACP Rajbir's murder arrested in Mumbai - Oct 29, 2009
- Vulnerable areas of Delhi prone to waterlogging (To go with Delhi waterlogging story) - Aug 24, 2010
- 'Property, love, depression behind shooting spree' - Sep 08, 2012
- Anurag Kashyap helps Nana with cop role in 'Shagird' (With Images) - May 04, 2011
- Fire in liquor shop near Sahara Mall in Gurgaon - Jul 02, 2012
- Women can work round the clock in Gurgaon: Police chief - Mar 15, 2012
- Gangster Munna Bajrangi suspected behind ACP Rajbir's murder held (Lead) - Oct 29, 2009
- Woman pub employee gang raped in Gurgaon (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Dreaded criminal arrested in Delhi - Oct 23, 2009
- Accused in Gurgaon BMW hit-and-run gets bail - May 15, 2012
- Air Force official murder case solved, four arrested - Jan 24, 2012
- Accused in Gurgaon BMW accident surrenders - May 15, 2012
- Gurgaon hooliganism due to lack of cops: Residents - Jan 02, 2012
- Delhi Police constable commits suicide in Gurgaon - Jul 15, 2012
- 25 injured in Gurgaon hotel explosion - Dec 17, 2010
Tags: ansal plaza, armed police, assistant commissioner, clean chit, commissioner of police, crime branch, crores, delhi police, lal, mahendra, mg road, police commissioner, police crime, police sources, police team, polices, south delhi, special operations, specialist assistant, vijay bharadwaj