Encounter in Kupwara ends, but another starts in Gurez sector of J-KMarch 26th, 2009 - 6:03 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Mar 26 (ANI): The security forces are engaged in a fierce encounter with militants in Hajibal area of Gurez sector in Jammu and Kashmir, just a day after one of the longest and bloodiest encounters in recent times ended in Kupwara.
The encounter started early Thursday morning and sources said that till now the Army has been gunned down one militant. Ten to fifteen terrorists were trying to infiltrate when the Army engaged them, they added.
On Wednesday, Army Chief General Deepal Kapoor said that the Pakistan based militant group, Lashkar-e-Toiba, is attempting the biggest ever push of terrorists across the Line of Control into India.
The warning from the Army chief came on a day when Lashkar spokesman Abdullah Ghaznavi told a news agency that the attacks will continue on Indian soil and the Kupwara encounter was a part of it.
Lashkar was found to be behind the ghastly attacks in Mumbai last year and its top leadership is under investigation in a Pakistan court.
“There are atleast 300 militants waiting to crossover to our side over LOC. There are 30-40 militant training camps active in Pakistan Occupied Kashmir,” General Kapoor said.
Pakistani troops have been firing throughout the last night at Indian posts in Uri sector reportedly to give cover to militants’ crossing over. The Indian Army has lodged a formal protest with their Pakistani counterparts on the same. (ANI)
- LeT trying to push 300 terrorists across LOC: General Kapoor - Mar 25, 2009
- Another militant killed in Kashmir's Gurez sector - Aug 25, 2011
- Seven militants killed in two separate encounters in Kashmir - Sep 06, 2010
- Major infiltration bid foiled, 12 Lashkar men killed (Lead) - Aug 20, 2011
- Four militants killed in J-K encounters - Oct 07, 2009
- Kashmir avalanche: BSF officer's body recovered, six missing (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- Pakistan again violates LoC truce - Mar 22, 2012
- Common man must not be troubled: Northern Command chief - Sep 26, 2011
- Three LeT guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight (Second Lead) - Jul 15, 2011
- Youth 'kidnapped' by LeT returns to India from PoK - Jun 13, 2012
- Kashmir civilian killing: Two security men booked for murder (Third Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- Army foils major infiltration bid, five guerrillas killed - Aug 20, 2011
- Major killed, Col injured in J&K encounter - Jul 14, 2010
- Wanted LeT militant killed in J-K encounter - Mar 28, 2011
- Clashes in Kashmiri training camps in Pakistan - May 03, 2012
Tags: army chief, atleast, chief general, counterparts, crossover, deepal, formal protest, indian army, indian soil, jammu, kashmir, militant group, militants, New Delhi, news agency, pakistan court, pakistani troops, security forces, thursday morning, training camps