Encephalitis kills hundreds in GorakhpurSeptember 5th, 2010 - 7:10 pm ICT by ANI
By Pawan Kumar Shah
Gorakhpur, Sep 5 (ANI): At least 220 are feared dead following an outbreak of encephalitis in Uttar Pradesh’s Gorakhpur District.
Doctors said that children between the ages of six months to 15 years have been the worst affected and most victims are poor people from rural areas.
Hundreds of children and malnourished patients have been admitted to hospitals for treatment, exposing the rickety medical facilities in the region.
“The situation is not good. Till now, at least 220 people have succumbed to the disease, as per government reports. However, the actual toll could be much higher. The situation is bad,” said Brajesh Singh, a relative of one of the patients.
“This is because the preparations to tackle the outbreak are unsatisfactory. There are not enough medicines and doctors are overburdened. That is why they have not been behaving with the patients properly,” he added.
The overflow of patients, many of whom are in a critical condition, has raised fears among the medical fraternity, who are battling an acute shortage of doctors and infrastructure support.
“In the last few hours, at least 17-18 children have died. Many more have been admitted and their condition is set to be critical. Doctors and nurses are not available for treatment, and neither is any bed vacant for serious cases,” said Kamlesh Kumar, a local.
According to doctors, the death rate due to encephalitis is 28-56 percent.
Many survivors are left mentally or physically handicapped. (ANI)
- Encephalitis scare in UP after 88 deaths - Jun 16, 2012
- Bihar, Uttar Pradesh battle to contain deadly encephalitis outbreak (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2012
- Suspected brain disease kills 51 kids in Bihar - Oct 01, 2011
- Encephalitis outbreak in Gorakhpur - Sep 18, 2010
- Diarrhoea claims two lives in Gorakhpur - Aug 04, 2010
- Uttar Pradesh battles viruses, over 200 dead - Sep 10, 2010
- 19 children dead in Bihar, encephalitis suspected - Sep 12, 2011
- Eight die of Japanese Enchephalitis in Gorakhpur - Aug 18, 2009
- Three more kids die of Japanese encephalitis, toll 332 - Sep 26, 2011
- Suspected brain disease kills nine kids in Bihar - Sep 06, 2011
- Encephalitis kills 200 children in northern India - Aug 25, 2009
- Encephalitis claims 9 more lives in Bihar, toll now 159 - Jun 16, 2012
- Encephalitis kills 3 kids in Bihar, toll at 92 - Dec 08, 2011
- Four more kids die of suspected encephalitis in Bihar - Jun 05, 2012
- Homeopathy, fish to take on encephalitis in UP? - Jun 30, 2012
Tags: acute shortage, critical condition, death rate, doctors and nurses, encephalitis, fears, gorakhpur district, hospitals, infrastructure support, malnourished patients, medical facilities, medical fraternity, medicines, outbreak, overflow, rural areas, shortage of doctors, six months, survivors, uttar pradesh