Employees’ strike cripples work in J&K; officesMay 24th, 2012 - 2:36 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, May 24 (IANS) Work in most government offices across Jammu and Kashmir was crippled by the employees’ three-day strike that started here Thursday, an official said.
“Work in all other government offices and schools came to a halt because of the employees’ strike. It had no effect on the functioning of the Civil Secretariat in Srinagar,” said a senior official of the state administration.
“The strike, however, had no effect on the working of the government offices in Leh town of Ladakh region. Colleges and universities are functioning normally throughout the state today (Thursday),” the official said.
Emergency services like hospitals, electricity and drinking water supply have been exempted by the state employees from their three-day strike.
The agitating employees are demanding enhancement in their retirement age from the existing 58 to 60 years, regularisation of daily wagers, ad hoc and contractual appointees, and removal of pay anomalies.
Police arrested many leaders of the striking employees to prevent them from holding rallies and protests in the state.
Employees leaders, including Khursheed Alam, Mohiuddin Muntizer, Abdul Qayoom Wani and Shabir Langu, have been taken into preventive custody, police said.
“They have been taken into preventive custody to maintain law and order,” a senior police officer said here.
The three-day agitation includes total strike Thursday, one-hour sit-in outside the Civil Secretariat in Srinagar Friday, and a rally towards the state Raj Bhavan Saturday.
- Striking government employees held in Srinagar - May 26, 2012
- Employees' strike paralyses government offices in Kashmir (Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- Police disperse Kashmir government staff rally (Lead) - Jul 18, 2011
- Police break up state employees' protest in Srinagar - Apr 17, 2012
- Jammu and Kashmir employees' march foiled - Jun 14, 2012
- Employees' strike affects work in Kashmir - Jul 18, 2011
- Leader of striking employees held in Kashmir - Apr 07, 2010
- Separatist strike affects life in Kashmir - Sep 07, 2011
- Employees' march foiled in Srinagar, dozens arrested - Jun 16, 2012
- Employees' strike affects schools, offices in Kashmir - May 08, 2012
- Police prevent novel anti-stray dogs protest in Srinagar - Jul 11, 2012
- Separatist shutdown hits life in Kashmir towns - Sep 06, 2011
- Police foil employees' march in Srinagar, scores detained - May 09, 2012
- Police baton charge agitating employees in Srinagar - Aug 12, 2009
- J-K public transport employees protest, clash with police - Oct 29, 2009
Tags: agitation, anomalies, appointees, civil secretariat, colleges and universities, cripples, drinking water supply, emergency services, government offices, jammu and kashmir, langu, law and order, mohiuddin, retirement age, shabir, state administration, state employees, striking employees, wagers, wani