Employees’ strike affects work in KashmirJuly 18th, 2011 - 2:05 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, July 18 (IANS) Jammu and Kashmir government employees Monday went on strike, affecting work in most offices in summer capital Srinagar, and held rallies to press for their demands.
The employees have been demanding payment of arrears of their salaries enhanced on the recommendations of the Sixth Pay Commission, raising the retirement age from the present 58 to 60, regular employment to daily wagers and ad hoc employees, and hike in emoluments for Anganwari workers.
Around 2,000 employees assembled outside the civil secretariat in Srinagar, where union leaders addressed them, to mount pressure on the government for acceptance of their demands.
Heavy security arrangements have been made around the civil secretariat to prevent the employees’ march.
The civil secretariat houses the offices of the chief minister, his cabinet colleagues and all senior bureaucrats.
“Work continued as usual and the employees’ strike has not affected the routine inside the civil secretariat,” a senior officer told IANS.
There are over two lakh government employees in the state but it is not clear as yet how many went on strike.
- Police disperse Kashmir government staff rally (Lead) - Jul 18, 2011
- Employees' strike affects schools, offices in Kashmir - May 08, 2012
- Employees' strike cripples work in J&K; offices - May 24, 2012
- Striking government employees held in Srinagar - May 26, 2012
- Separatist shutdown hits life in Kashmir towns - Sep 06, 2011
- Separatist strike affects life in Kashmir - Sep 07, 2011
- Jammu and Kashmir employees' march foiled - Jun 14, 2012
- Kashmir government employees strike work for second day - Jan 22, 2010
- Employees' strike paralyses government offices in Kashmir (Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- Employees' march foiled in Srinagar, dozens arrested - Jun 16, 2012
- Section of Kashmir employees call off strike - Apr 13, 2010
- Police foil employees' march in Srinagar, scores detained - May 09, 2012
- Water canons used on Kashmir employees, 24 held - Jun 13, 2012
- Agitating Kashmir employees hold talks with government - May 15, 2010
- 4,000 Kashmir employees call off strike (Lead) - Apr 13, 2010
Tags: arrears, bureaucrats, cabinet colleagues, chief minister, civil secretariat, emoluments, government employees, heavy security, jammu and kashmir, jammu and kashmir government, kashmir, lakh, rallies, retirement age, salaries, secretariat, security arrangements, srinagar, union leaders, wagers