Employees of public sector banks on strikeJanuary 25th, 2008 - 1:00 pm ICT by admin
Mumbai, Jan 25 (ANI): Employees of nationalised banks are observing a one-day strike today in protest against the proposed merger between State Bank of India (SBI) and its associate banks and entry of large number of foreign banks.
They are also demanding pension.
The strike has been called by the United Forum of Bank Unions (UFBU), an umbrella organisation of nine unions in public, private and foreign banks.
“The management was firm in its stand on several issues, including the merger of SBI’s associates,” said All India State Bank Officer’s Federation, General Secretary, G D Nadaf.
The employees are also demanding the lifting of the freeze on new recruitment in the banking sector.
The strike is expected to affect at least 50,000 bank branches in the country, including public and private banks.
Nearly 12 lakh employees are expected to strike work. (ANI)
- Strike cripples banking operations in Karnataka - Aug 22, 2012
- Bank employees to strike work July 7 - Jun 21, 2011
- Banking services hit in northeast India - Aug 22, 2012
- All India bank strike postponed - Jun 30, 2011
- Bank employees to strike work Aug 5 - Aug 01, 2011
- Bank strike hits financial sector in India (Roundup) - Aug 22, 2012
- Bank unions to strike Friday - Aug 03, 2011
- Banking activities in Bengal likely to be crippled for two days - Aug 22, 2012
- Bank staff plans strike against privatisation, law changes - Jun 28, 2011
- Banking activity in Bengal comes to standstill - Aug 22, 2012
- India's banking operations hit by nationwide staff strike (Roundup) - Aug 05, 2011
- Bank staff plans strike against privatisation (Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Bank union threatens one-day strike in March - Jan 18, 2012
- Banking activities paralysed as strike begins - Aug 22, 2012
- India's banking industry hit by nationwide staff strike - Aug 05, 2011
Tags: bank branches, bank of india, bank unions, banking sector, federation general, foreign banks, general secretary, india state, lakh, merger, nationalised banks, private banks, protest, public sector banks, recruitment, sbi, state bank, state bank of india, umbrella organisation, united forum