Election Commission to discuss paid news at all-party meet todayOctober 4th, 2010 - 12:00 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Oct 4 (ANI): Amid concern over the alarming proportion of paid news in the Indian media and the growing use of money power in polls, the Election Commission will hold a day-long deliberations with all parties on Monday in a bid to eliminate electoral malpractices.
It has been reported that six national parties and over 50 recognised state political parties have been invited for the meeting.
The issue of criminalisation of politics and the use of electronic voting machines is also expected to be discussed in the meeting.
Chief Election Commissioner S Y Quraishi and other two Election Commissioners V S Sampath and H S Brahma would hear the views of the leaders of political parties in order to address these issues.The Election Commission would later hold separate consultations with the national parties and the state parties.The Press Council of India (PCI) expressing concern over the paid news syndrome recently defined paid news as: “Any news or analysis appearing in any media (print and electronic) for a price in cash or kind as consideration.”The PCI has undertaken a study of the phenomenon of paid news during the Lok Sabha polls and assembly polls in Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh and has come out with a set of recommendations to stop such malpractices. (ANI)
- Sampath assumes office as Chief Election Commissioner (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Will push for electoral reforms, says Sampath - Jun 11, 2012
- Sonia Gandhi says polls in Goa within couple of months - Dec 17, 2011
- EC meets political parties to explain new instructions for forthcoming elections - Mar 09, 2011
- Poll panel keeping tabs on Himachal government actions - Jul 12, 2012
- Election commissioners to visit Lucknow Friday - Jan 05, 2012
- Paid news worries poll panel - Sep 22, 2011
- Election Commission begins Assam visit - Feb 02, 2011
- Punjab voters being lured with drugs: Poll panel - Dec 28, 2011
- Election Commission to review Bihar poll preparations today - Oct 12, 2010
- EC to visit West Bengal to oversee poll preparedness - Apr 27, 2011
- Cover all statues of Mayawati, BSP symbol: Quraishi (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Assam political parties favour polls before mid-April (Lead) - Feb 02, 2011
- Dates for assembly polls within next few days: Quraishi - Dec 16, 2011
- EC appoints about 1000 observers for Assembly polls - Mar 10, 2011
Tags: alarming proportion, andhra pradesh, assembly polls, brahma, chief election commissioner, criminalisation of politics, deliberations, election commission, election commissioners, electronic voting machines, lok sabha polls, money power, national parties, New Delhi, political parties, press council of india, quraishi, s sampath, state parties, uttar pradesh