Election Commission appoints new Gujarat police chiefNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:27 am ICT by admin
Pande was Ahmedabad Police Commissioner during the 2002 post-Godhra riots. He had come under a cloud over the 2002 communal violence. The 1970-batch IPS officer is said to be close to Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
Seven other senior officials - Ahmedabad Police Commissioner J Mahapatra, Deputy Inspector General of Police (Border Range) I M Desai, Superintendent of Police (Patan) J N Rajgor, SP (Rajkot) N D Solanki, SP (Tapi) S K Gadhavi, Collector of Valsad D H Brahmbhatt and Collector of Gandhinagar Sonal Mishra were also transferred.
The EC had directed that none of the eight would be posted at any place where there was any election-related work.
The electoral process for the 12th State Assembly will begin from November 15, and state electorate will cast their votes on December 11 and December 16.
Counting of votes for the 182-member State Assembly will take place on December 23.
The Bharatiya Janata Party managed to win 127 seats, while the Congress party was able to win only 51 seats in the 2002 assembly polls.
The Janata Dal (United) and independents won two seats each. (ANI)
- EC to send three special observers to review poll preparedness in Gujarat - Nov 14, 2007
- Election Commission transfers Gujarat police chief - Nov 14, 2007
- Election panel seeks report on Punjab officers' activities - Aug 21, 2011
- Plea to make Gujarat cops accused in riots case rejected - May 31, 2011
- Gujarat gets Muslim police chief - Feb 21, 2009
- Sohrabuddin's brother wants further probe after cop's testimony - Sep 15, 2011
- Three Punjab DGPs transferred - Mar 16, 2012
- Poll panel asks for report on Punjab top cop - Aug 20, 2011
- Congress in Gujarat: Lost in the shadows (Gujarat Newsletter) - Mar 24, 2011
- Gujarat riots: Panel asked to seek details from ex-officials - Aug 26, 2010
- Anil Kaushik is new Punjab top cop - Sep 30, 2011
- Poll panel blocks 400 government jobs in Goa - Jan 05, 2012
- Poll panel to discuss money power during elections - Aug 29, 2010
- BJP sweeps local bodies polls in Gujarat - Oct 23, 2010
- Poll panel transfers 18 Punjab officials - Dec 27, 2011
Tags: ahmedabad, assembly elections, assembly polls, communal violence, deputy inspector general, eci, gandhinagar, godhra riots, gujarat police, ips officer, narendra modi, pande, patan, police commissioner, state assembly, state electorate