Elect Congress for development in Bihar, says Manmohan SinghOctober 16th, 2010 - 6:42 pm ICT by ANI
Araria (Bihar) Oct 16 (ANI): Describing Congress as party of
the common man, Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh on Saturday urged people of
Bihar to vote in favour of the Congress to bring the State on the development
Addressing an election rally ahead of the Bihar Assembly
polls here, Dr Singh said: ”
The Congress is the only party, which is committed to the
welfare of aam admi and the weaker sections of society.
Dr. Singh said Congress-led Government at the Centre had
also taken several steps to improve the lot of minorities, farmers and the
Dwelling on the issue of unemployment, Dr. Singh said if the
Congress was voted to power, it would take major steps to solve the problem.
“The Congress is irrevocably committed for ensuring the
socio-economic uplift of minorities, scheduled castes, farmers and other
sections of the society,” he said.
“Since 2004, till now, the Centre has given Rs 6000
crores and for 36 districts the Centre is giving special assistance. These
funds could have changed the face of the state… power, roads, education could
have been given to the needy but the government has not fulfilled its
“You have seen successive governments during the past
20 years, please give the Congress a chance which alone under the leadership of
Sonia Gandhi will ensure all-round growth,” he added.
He further lashed out at the ruling JD(U)-BJP alliance and
said Nitish Kumar government has failed to implement the development of the
State despite all the funds from the Centre.
“The Bihar government had failed to implement the Mahatma
Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MNREGA), besides the special
scheme for minorities in the State,” he added.
Dr. Singh expressed unhappiness that in Araria district
around 50 percent of the people were still living below the poverty line even
after 63 years of Independence.
The six-phase polls for 243 seats begins from October 21 and
concludes on November 20.
Counting of votes will take place on November 24. (ANI)
- Manmohan Singh should speak as economist, not politician: BJP - Oct 17, 2010
- Give Congress a chance, PM says in Bihar (Lead) - Oct 16, 2010
- Sonia Gandhi calls Nitish Kumar an opportunist - Oct 18, 2010
- Development main issue in Bihar polls, says BJP - Oct 22, 2010
- Manmohan Singh promises to bring development to West Bengal - Apr 23, 2011
- Manmohan Singh to campaign in Bihar today - Oct 16, 2010
- After Rahul, PM and Sonia to campaign in Bihar - Oct 15, 2010
- Mulayam, Mayawati neglected Muslims, development: Rahul Gandhi - Jan 28, 2012
- Bihar Assembly polls: Sonia Gandhi chairs CEC meeting to decide candidates - Sep 22, 2010
- Rahul Gandhi questions Bihar CM's secular credentials - Oct 14, 2010
- Sonia plays minority card in Bihar, attacks Nitish Kumar (Lead) - Oct 18, 2010
- Delayed wages, corruption in MNREGA worry PM, Sonia (Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- Maoists in Bihar ideologically weak: Sharad Yadav - Oct 27, 2010
- Biharis are shining, not Bihar: Rahul Gandhi - Oct 31, 2010
- Bengal's future rests with Congress-Trinamool: Sonia - Apr 15, 2011
Tags: admi, assembly polls, bihar government, bjp, common man, crores, development path, dr manmohan singh, dr singh, economic uplift, election rally, favour, living below the poverty line, mahatma gandhi, manmohan, manmohan singh, minorities, several steps, sonia gandhi, unhappiness