Eighty two percent voters to use photo I-cards for Lok Sabha pollsMarch 5th, 2009 - 10:50 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Mar 5 (ANI): For the first time, nearly 82 percent electors will usethe Photo identity cards for polling in forthcoming General Elections.
Out of 543 Lok Sabha constituencies, 522 constituencies and the legislative constituencies in Andhra Pradesh, Sikkim and Orissa will go to the polls on the basis of the photo electoral rolls.
Nearly 77 percent eligible voters would have their photographs in the rolls.
Over 90 percent electors have been issued voters cards with photographs in fourteen states and 90 percent electors have their photographs printed in the electoral rolls in thirteen states.
This will facilitate easy identification and prevent impersonation.
The concept of photo electoral roll was introduced in 2005 when it was tested as a pilot project during the revision of rolls in all the constituencies of Kerala and Puducherry, two constituencies of Haryana and in one constituency each in Himachal Pradesh and Punjab.
On the successful completion of the pilot project, the subsequent elections to the Legislative Assemblies of Kerala and Puducherry in 2006, the 2007 elections of Himachal Pradesh and the 2008 legislative elections in Meghalaya, Tripura, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Mizoram, Rajasthan and Delhi were also conducted using Photo Electoral Rolls. (ANI)
- 82 percent voters to use photo I-cards for Lok Sabha polls - Mar 05, 2009
- Finger printing, spot photos of all voters soon: CEC - Feb 01, 2012
- Vote without fear, Election Commission tells electorate - Apr 12, 2011
- Poll panel begins groundwork for polls in five states - Sep 04, 2012
- Himachal has 45,15,604 voters - Aug 09, 2012
- Poll panel keeping tabs on Himachal government actions - Jul 12, 2012
- Compulsory voting difficult to enforce: poll panel chief - May 12, 2010
- Security stepped up in poll-bound Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Puducherry - Apr 12, 2011
- Polling underway in Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Puducherry - Apr 13, 2011
- 'Photo voters card should be produced for voting' - Mar 28, 2011
- Bengal voter slips to carry photos - Feb 24, 2011
- EC moots GIS mapping of all polling booths in UP - Apr 27, 2012
- Giving voting rights to NRIs not easy, says Chawla - Apr 19, 2010
- High voter turnout in Piravom by-poll in Kerala - Mar 17, 2012
- Notices to Gujarat government, poll panel on voters' list 'irregularities' - Aug 13, 2010
Tags: andhra pradesh, electoral roll, electoral rolls, electors, eligible voters, general elections, haryana, impersonation, legislative assemblies, legislative elections, lok sabha constituencies, lok sabha polls, orissa, photo identity cards, pilot project, puducherry, rajasthan, sikkim, thirteen states, tripura