Eight rebels killed in Philippine military air strikeMarch 2nd, 2009 - 8:57 pm ICT by IANS
Manila, March 2 (Xinhua) Security forces in the Philippines Monday launched an air strike against armed rebels on a restive southern island, killing at least eight guerrillas, a military official said.
The air strike was carried out after fighting between soldiers and undetermined number of Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) rebels erupted in a secluded village outside the town of Kabuntulan in Mindanao island, regional military spokesperson Col. Jonathan Ponce told reporters.
He said a military aircraft, SF-260, provided air support to soldiers on the ground during the fighting that began mid-afternoon.
MILF spokesperson confirmed the air strike but denied any casualties from their side.
The military authority also reported Monday that two government soldiers were killed while another was injured in two separate clashes with MILF rebels Sunday in Maguindanao and North Cotabato provinces.
Peace talks between the government and the 11,800-member MILF collapsed in August 2008 after the two sides failed to sign an agreement on ancestral domain, prompting radical rebel commanders to launch deadly attacks on Christian communities in Mindanao.
The government has stepped up operations against the group since then.
- Eleven Muslim rebels killed in the Philippines - Jun 08, 2009
- 27 killed in fighting in the Philippines - Mar 28, 2009
- Rebels kill eight in Philippines - Apr 04, 2011
- 32 people killed in three days of Philippine fighting - Sep 26, 2008
- Three government anti-drug agents killed in Philippines - Apr 13, 2009
- 15 killed in clash in southern Philippines - Oct 27, 2008
- 13 rebels killed in Philippines fighting - Nov 18, 2008
- Rebel commander captured in Philippines - Sep 23, 2009
- Two killed, dozens injured in Philippine blast - Jul 07, 2009
- Three killed in Philippines jail gunfight - Feb 20, 2012
- 100 Muslim rebels killed in Philippine offensive: Army - Aug 23, 2008
- 7.3-magnitude quake hits Philippines - Jul 24, 2010
- Three rebel commanders killed in the Philippines - Jun 20, 2009
- Soldier, two rebels killed in Philippines - May 13, 2012
- Probe ordered on civilian deaths in Philippine military offensive - Sep 09, 2008
Tags: ancestral domain, christian communities, clashes, government soldiers, guerrillas, maguindanao, milf, military air, military aircraft, military authority, military official, military spokesperson, mindanao island, moro islamic liberation front, north cotabato, peace talks, rebel commanders, sf 260, undetermined number, xinhua