Eight militants killed in two Kashmir gun fights (Lead)October 1st, 2010 - 10:40 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Oct 1 (IANS) Eight militants were killed Friday in two fierce gunfights in Kashmir, an official said.
A defence spokesman here said alert army troops guarding the line of control (LoC) in Machil sector in north Kashmir Kupwara district foiled an infiltration bid Friday.
“Troops detected a group of militants trying to infiltrate to this side of the LoC in Machil sector today. The group was surrounded and challenged upon which they opened fire, triggering a gunfight at the end of which five infiltrators were killed,” Lt. Col. J.S. Brar said.
He said searches are still continuing in the area.
In another incident, three militants and a policeman were killed in a daylong fierce encounter in Akhal village of north Kashmir’s Ganderbal district.
“Troops and police jointly surrounded a house in the village on specific information about the presence of a group of militants inside it in Akhal village.
“The holed up militants were challenged to surrender. They opened fire triggering a gunfight which has ended. Bodies of three militants were recovered from the encounter site,” he added.
The spokesman said a local policeman was also killed in the gunfight.
The spokesman said 42 “well armed and trained, both local and foreign terrorists, have been eliminated in the ongoing counter terrorism operations conducted by the army in September 2010′.
Meanwhile, four protesters were Friday wounded in post-Friday prayer clashes in north Kashmir’s Baramulla town and south Kashmir town of Anantnag.
A police spokesman here said security forces had to open fire to quell protestors in Baramulla and Anantnag towns Friday afternoon as mobs indulged in heavy stone pelting.
The injured were evacuated to hospital for treatment.
Curfew was relaxed in the evening in phases in the capital city to enable people to buy essential commodities.
- Soldier killed while foiling infiltration bid - Aug 09, 2012
- Soldier killed in Kashmir gunfight - Jul 28, 2011
- Four infiltrators killed on LoC - Oct 01, 2011
- Another militant killed in Kashmir's Gurez sector - Aug 25, 2011
- Three terrorists killed in Kashmir - Apr 30, 2010
- Major infiltration bid foiled, 12 Lashkar men killed (Lead) - Aug 20, 2011
- Three guerrillas, policeman killed in Kashmir gunfight - Oct 01, 2010
- Indian soldier killed in Pakistani firing - Jun 14, 2012
- Army foils major infiltration bid, five guerrillas killed - Aug 20, 2011
- Two guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight (Lead) - Oct 09, 2011
- Seven LeT guerrillas, two soldiers killed in Kashmir (Fourth Lead) - May 07, 2010
- Three terrorists killed, gunfight on in Kashmir - Oct 23, 2010
- Six terrorists killed on Kashmir border - May 12, 2012
- Ceasefire violation at LoC in J&K; - May 22, 2012
- Infiltration bid foiled, six guerrillas killed - Aug 30, 2010
Tags: army troops, brar, counter terrorism, curfew, defence spokesman, friday afternoon, gun fights, gunfight, gunfights, heavy stone, infiltration, infiltrators, kashmir, militants, mobs, north kashmir, police spokesman, policeman, protestors, south kashmir