Eight dead in explosion in fireworks unit in Tamil NaduJuly 21st, 2009 - 1:51 pm ICT by ANI
Namaskarichanpatti/Sivakasi (Tamil Nadu), July 21 (ANI): Eight workers were killed and 45 others injured in an explosion at a fireworks manufacturing unit in Namaskarichanpatti in Tamil Nadu.
The explosion took place on Monday at Shri Krishna Fireworks factory, when a worker carrying chemicals in a bucket slipped and fell.
The chemicals caught fire due to friction, the sparks of which fell on the crackers stocked nearby, triggering a series of explosions.
Fire fighters had a tough time in controlling the raging fire that burnt 40 sheds.
The victims of the explosion were admitted to nearby hospital.
The factory owners have announced a compensation of Rupees 200 thousand to the next of kin of those killed in the blast in addition to Rupees 10,000 for funeral charges.
The State Government has also offered assistance for the injured.
“Upon getting information about the accident, state Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi, directed me to immediately visit the victims and provide all assistance that is necessary,” said KKSSR Ramachandran, a legislator.This is the second such incident in the region.
Earlier this month, 16 people were killed and around 50 injured in an explosion in a fireworks factory explosion at Vadakkampatti village in the state. (ANI)
- 20 killed in fireworks factory explosion - Sep 05, 2012
- Blaze at fireworks factory in southern India kills 38, injures 60 - Sep 06, 2012
- PM condoles Sivakasi fire victims - Sep 05, 2012
- Sivakasi blast: NHRC notice to Tamil Nadu - Sep 07, 2012
- 12 held for fireworks factory blaze, probe ordered (Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- 30 dead as flames engulf firecracker factory (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Six arrested for Sivakasi fire tragedy - Sep 06, 2012
- 30 dead as flames engulf firecracker factory (Third Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- 33 die as firecracker factory catches fire (Fourth Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- 36 die as firecracker factory catches fire (Fifth Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- 30 dead as flames engulf firecracker factory (Second Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Death toll reaches 10 in Sivakasi fire - Jul 21, 2009
- 237 lives lost in cracker unit accidents in Sivakasi - Sep 05, 2012
- Sivakasi cracker business roars to life before Diwali - Oct 26, 2010
- Blast at illegal fireworks workshop in northern China kills 5 - Sep 17, 2012
Tags: chemicals, chief minister, crackers, factory explosion, fire fighters, fireworks factory, friction, funeral charges, legislator, m karunanidhi, nearby hospital, raging fire, rupees, series of explosions, sheds, shri krishna, sparks, state chief, state government