Eiffel Tower’’s glittering lights to be cut for the sake of environmentSeptember 1st, 2008 - 1:39 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sept 1 (ANI): The Eiffel tower is set to loose its sparkle, as the administration has decided to cut its glittering light in a new green initiative.
Sete, the company sub-contracted by Paris to run the tower, has decided to cut the time bulbs are run by half, with 400 to 200 hours per year.
Since January 1, 2000, every hour after dusk, the 20,000 bulbs twinkle brilliantly for ten minutes and is, indeed, a hit among tourists.
“It’’s above all a symbolic decision, as the cost savings are not enormous”, the Telegraph quoted tourism deputy of Paris mayor Bertrand Delanoe as saying.
“But in terms of image, it shows that we are putting sustainable development into practice”, Jean-Bertrand Bros told Journal du Dimanche.
The move comes in an effort to make the Eiffel tower and other monuments more environmentally friendly.
Tickets and documents in the tower are made of recycled paper, and management claims that all the electricity used comes from renewable sources.
It is also currently studying a plan to put solar panels on the roof of its restaurants. (ANI)
- Eiffel Tower evacuated over bomb scare - Dec 10, 2011
- Reclining Eiffel Tower - a symbol of German industrial history (With Images) - Jul 06, 2011
- Mariah Carey, Nick Cannon renews vows - Apr 29, 2012
- Man jumps to death from Eiffel Tower - Jun 25, 2012
- France film director Claude Chabrol dies at 80 - Sep 13, 2010
- Jean-Bertrand Aristide returns to Haiti after a 7-years exile - Mar 19, 2011
- Orbit tower unveiled in London's Olympic park - May 12, 2012
- Parisian feel to Preity's 'Ishkq In Paris' (With Image) - Jul 05, 2012
- Eiffel Tower steps up for grabs! - Dec 11, 2009
- Thousands evacuated from the Eiffel Tower and Champ de Mars over bomb threat - Sep 15, 2010
- Tens of thousands evacuated from the Eiffel Tower and Champ de Mars over bomb threat - Sep 15, 2010
- Eiffel Tower reopens after bomb threat - Sep 15, 2010
- Eiffel Tower evacuated after bomb threat - Sep 29, 2010
- Mercury makes eco-bulbs 'a health hazard for babies and pregnant' - Dec 23, 2010
- Skater Tag Khris jumps from Eiffel tower - Jun 01, 2010