Eid-ul-Fitr to be celebrated on SaturdaySeptember 10th, 2010 - 2:47 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Sept.10 (ANI): Eid-ul-Fitr will be celebrated in the National Capital Region (NCR) on Saturday, said the The Shahi Imam of Fatehpuri Masjid, Mufti Mohammad Mukkaram Ahmed on Thursday.
“The moon of Shawwal was not sighted today. Eid-ul-Fitr will be celebrated on Saturday,” he said.
Syed Ahmed Bhukari, the Shahi Imam of Jama Masjid, said the moon was not sighted from anywhere as yet and “therefore I announce that the 1st of Shawwal (Eid-ul-Fitr) falls on Saturday.”
The celebrations culminates the fasting by devotees for a month during Ramzan, the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar.
The faithful wake up early morning for the pre-dawn ’sehri’ meal renouncing food and water during the day before breaking their fast in the evening. The evening meal is known as ‘iftaar’.
As Islam follows a lunar calendar, the holy month begins every year about 11 days earlier and its commencement is traditionally determined by the appearance of the new moon. (ANI)
- Eid-ul-Fitr to be celebrated Saturday - Sep 09, 2010
- Pakistan to celebrate Eid-ul-Fitr Saturday - Sep 10, 2010
- Muslims observes Ramadan with prayers at mosques - Aug 12, 2010
- Delhi celebrates Eid with feasting and fervour - Aug 20, 2012
- Delhi celebrates Eid with traditional fervour (Lead) - Sep 11, 2010
- Pakistan celebrates Eid on three days - Aug 19, 2012
- President Patil, Vice President Ansari greet people on Id-ul-Fitr - Sep 10, 2010
- Pakistan celebrates Eid - Aug 31, 2011
- Eid celebrated in Delhi - Aug 31, 2011
- Ramadan, Eid-ul-Fitr dates forecast in UAE - May 12, 2012
- Hindus join Muslims in celebrating Eid in Odisha - Aug 20, 2012
- Dikshit greets people on Eid eve - Sep 10, 2010
- Tomorrow is Eid ul-Fitr - Aug 30, 2011
- Eid celebrated with prayers for peace, feasting (Roundup) - Aug 20, 2012
- Shia Muslims to celebrate Eid-ul-Fitr on Monday - Sep 20, 2009