Eid Milad-un-Nabi celebrated across the countryMarch 11th, 2009 - 2:09 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Mar 11 (ANI): People across the country celebrated Eid Milad-un-Nabi, the birthday of Prophet Mohammed with great joy and devotion on Tuesday.
Muslims from all walks of life visited mosques and shrines to participate in special prayers.
Several devotees took part in a procession from old Delhi to North and Central Delhi on Tuesday evening. It ended at Turkman Gate.
Delhi police made stringent security arrangements for the occasion.
In the Kashmir Valley, devotees participated n special prayers at the historical Dargah Hazratbal near the Dal Lake, where they caught a glimpse of the holy relics of Prophet Mohammed.
Thousands of men and women remained awake through Monday night and prayed continuously until morning when the Prophet’’s holy relic housed in the shrine was displayed.
Uttar Pradesh, which has a significant population of Muslims, arguably the largest in India, celebrated the Prophet’’s birthday by decorating mosques and offering prayers.
Special security arrangements were made at religious places in Varanasi, Mathura and Ayodhya in view of Eid-e-Miladun-Nabi and Holi festivities.
In Madhya Pradesh’’s Bhopal, several processions were taken out and Qawwalis and Natia Mushairas were also organised.
The birthday of the Islamic Prophet Mohammad occurs in Rabi” al-awwal, the third month in the Islamic lunar Calender. Sunni Mauslims and Shia Muslims celebrate the festival on different days.
It is believed that on this day, the 12th of Rabiul-Awal of the Hijri calendar, the Prophet was born with Divine blessings and message of peace for human kind. He also passed away the same day after completing his mission. (ANI)
- Thousands offer prayers at Valley's Hazratbal shrine - Feb 16, 2011
- 70,000 faithful throng Hazratbal shrine (With Images) - Feb 10, 2012
- Kashmir reverberates with prayers on Eid-e-Milad - Feb 05, 2012
- Kashmir prays for peace on Eid-e-Milad-un-Nabi - Mar 10, 2009
- Peaceful Eid prayers held across Kashmir - Nov 07, 2011
- Mumbai celebrates Eid-e-Milad - Feb 05, 2012
- Thousands offer prayers on Prophet's birth anniversary - Mar 10, 2009
- Eid celebrated with prayers for peace, feasting (Roundup) - Aug 20, 2012
- Gaiety marks Eid in Andhra Pradesh - Aug 31, 2011
- Prayers, sacrifice on Eid-ul-Zuha in Andhra Pradesh - Nov 07, 2011
- Devotees offer prayers at Hazratbal shrine in Srinagar - Jul 11, 2010
- Eid-ul-Fitr celebrated with fervour in Lucknow - Aug 31, 2011
- Muslims across India offer prayers on last Friday of Ramadan - Sep 03, 2010
- Ganesh Chaturthi, Eid being celebrated today with fervor and gaiety - Sep 11, 2010
- Lucknow prays for peace on Eid-e-Milad-un-Nabi - Mar 10, 2009
Tags: central delhi, eid milad un nabi, hijri calendar, holy relic, holy relics, islamic prophet, kashmir valley, lunar calender, milad un nabi, miladun nabi, natia, old delhi, prophet mohammad, prophet mohammed, qawwalis, religious places, security arrangements, shia muslims, stringent security, walks of life