Eid celebrated with full fervour across India (Eid-Update)November 14th, 2007 - 2:13 am ICT by admin
Celebrations started after confirmation was received on the beginning of the month of Shawwal.
Muslims in Delhi flocked at the popular shrine ‘Jama Masjid’ to offer Eid prayers.
“We wish the entire nation ‘Happy Eid’. We wish both Hindus and Muslims. We wish that peace prevails in India and that we all live peacefully and happily,” said Naseer Ahmed, a devotee.
As is customary, Muslims embraced each other and exchanged Eid greetings after the prayers.
In Srinagar too Muslims gathered at mosques to offer prayers.
“All the Muslims, people of all religions, I wish all of them ‘Happy Eid’ so that peace prevails everywhere,” said Sahbir Ahmad, another devotee.
The scene was no different at mosques in Mumbai and Kolkata where devotees came together to pray.
“On this happy occasion, we organise ‘Eid Milan’ and we invite all our neighbours, Hindus, Muslims, everybody. We throw a party, a feast and enjoy together,” said Mohammad Aslan, a Muslim devotee in Kolkata.
Muslims in Kerala and some other parts of the country celebrated the festival on Saturday, and gathered in mosques and specially set up ‘Idgahs’ to offer namaz.
Id ul Fitr is celebrated on the last day of the holy month of Ramzanon during which devout Muslims abstain from eating and drinking from dawn to dusk.
President Pratibha Patil, Vice President Hamid Ansari and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh have extended their warm wishes on the eve of Eid-ul-Fitr.
“On the joyous occasion of Id-ul-Fitr, I convey my warm wishes to all my citizens in India and abroad,” the President said in her message.
“The spirit of generosity and charity associated with this festival promotes the feeling of brotherhood among people and help usher in a humane society,” Ansari said.
United Progressive Alliance chairperson Sonia Gandhi has also greeted Muslims on the occasion.
“On the occasion of Eid-ul-Fitr, I would like to greet all our Muslims brothers and sisters,” Gandhi said in a statement on Saturday.
Meanwhile, security has been beefed up at all the mosques after at the October 11 blast at the Sufi shrine of Khwaja Mohiuddin Chisti in Ajmer. (ANI)
- Eid-ul-Fitr celebrated with fervour in Lucknow - Aug 31, 2011
- Eid celebrated in Meghalaya - Aug 31, 2011
- Delhi celebrates Eid with feasting and fervour - Aug 20, 2012
- PM visits Ansari, greets him on Eid - Aug 31, 2011
- Eid celebrated with prayers for peace, feasting (Roundup) - Aug 20, 2012
- Hindus join Muslims in celebrating Eid in Odisha - Aug 20, 2012
- Stray incident apart, Eid prayers offered peacefully in Kashmir - Aug 20, 2012
- Eid celebrated in Delhi - Aug 31, 2011
- President, PM greet nation on Eid (Lead) - Aug 19, 2012
- Assam celebrates Eid with fervour - Aug 31, 2011
- President, prime minister greet nation on Eid (Lead) - Aug 30, 2011
- President Mukherjee greets nation on Eid - Aug 19, 2012
- President Patil, Vice President Ansari greet people on Id-ul-Fitr - Sep 10, 2010
- Chinese Muslims celebrate Eid - Aug 19, 2012
- Gaiety marks Eid in Andhra Pradesh - Aug 31, 2011
Tags: ansari, dawn to dusk, devotee, devout muslims, eid greetings, eid prayers, eid ul fitr, happy eid, hindus, India, jama masjid, kolkata, mosques, namaz, neighbours, pratibha patil, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, ul, vice president