Eid celebrated in KashmirOctober 1st, 2008 - 4:17 pm ICT by ANI
Srinagar, Oct 1 (ANI): Muslims in Kashmir are celebrating Eid with religious fervor on Wednesday.
Thousands of devotees gathered at the Eidgah in downtown Srinagar, and offered special prayers marking end of the fasting during the holy month of Ramadan.
Similar prayers were held in mosques and Eidgahs across Kashmir valley.
“All of us have come here to offer our special prayers today on Eid. On this occasion, we pray that the Almighty bless us with happiness and success,” said Rafiq Ahmed, a resident.
Muslims in other parts of the country will celebrate the festival on Thursday in accordance with the announcement made by Syed Ahmed Bukhari, the chief cleric of Delhi’’s Jama Mosque.
Religious scholars insist that an Islamic month begins with the actual sighting of the moon. Those who sight the ”Shawwal” moon first, celebrate Eid ahead of those who do not. Eid marks the first day of the Islamic calendar’’s month of ”Shawwal”.
The celebrations have already begun in several parts of the globe as the moon-sighting committees in different countries declared sighting of the moon on Tuesday heralding the much-awaited celebrations.
Pakistan is also celebrating Eid today.
In Arabic “Eid” means “festivity” and “Fitr” to break a fast. The day before Eid-ul-Fitr families donate food items to the less well off. The donation is known as “Sadaqah al-Fitr” or charity of fast-breaking.
On Eid day, families typically start the day early, eat a small meal before attending special prayers, and then go on to feast at friends or relatives” houses.
It is also a day for asking for forgiveness and visiting graves. (ANI)
- Hindus join Muslims in celebrating Eid in Odisha - Aug 20, 2012
- Eid-ul-Fitr to be celebrated on Saturday - Sep 10, 2010
- Eid celebrated with prayers for peace, feasting (Roundup) - Aug 20, 2012
- Ganesh Chaturthi, Eid being celebrated today with fervor and gaiety - Sep 11, 2010
- Eid celebrated in Meghalaya - Aug 31, 2011
- Delhi celebrates Eid with feasting and fervour - Aug 20, 2012
- Stray incident apart, Eid prayers offered peacefully in Kashmir - Aug 20, 2012
- Pakistan to celebrate Eid-ul-Fitr Saturday - Sep 10, 2010
- Pakistan celebrates Eid on three days - Aug 19, 2012
- Gaiety marks Eid in Andhra Pradesh - Aug 31, 2011
- Pakistan celebrates Eid - Aug 31, 2011
- Muslims observes Ramadan with prayers at mosques - Aug 12, 2010
- 10 die in Pakistan suicide bombing - Aug 31, 2011
- India celebrates Eid -- from Kashmir to down south (Roundup) - Aug 31, 2011
- Thousands offer Eid prayers in Kashmir peacefully - Aug 31, 2011
Tags: al fitr, asking for forgiveness, celebrating eid, cleric, devotees, eid, eid ul fitr, festivity, food items, islamic calendar, jama, kashmir, moon sighting, mosques, parts of the globe, ramadan, religious fervor, religious scholars, sighting of the moon, srinagar