Eid brings cheer to markets in Kashmir valleyOctober 2nd, 2008 - 7:49 pm ICT by ANI
By Afzal Bhat
Srinagar, Oct.2 (ANI): Markets were abuzz with Muslim residents going on a marketing spree on the occasion of Eid.
Locals as well as people from far and near thronged the markets to shop amidst the rush of jostling and haggling for a bargain price.
Clothes, food items including meat, chicken, vegetables and confectionery besides toys for children were high in demand of almost every other family.
“Everyone is out on streets. Street is buzzing with kids, ladies and elders. Most of the shopping is for the kids. Kids have made lots of demands and we are shopping for them. For myself, I have bought a shawl. Eid is a festival of joy. After Ramadan is Shukrana (thanksgiving) and Namaz we all will have a feast,” says Nazir, a shopper.
Markets in both the up-market Civil Lines area and the densely populated localities elsewhere were full of shopping families with children in tow.
Hosiery stores and even provision stores announced special discounts for the buyers this festive season to ensure maximum sales.
Some shopkeepers, on their part, claimed to have recorded profit to the extent of four times the normal sales.
“People buy eatables, clothes and many other things for Eid. We earn almost Rs. 5,000 - 6,000 on normal days. But during Eid, by God’’s grace the business has increased 3-4 times,” opines Parvez Butt, a shopkeeper in Srinagar.
Bakery shops are virtually jam-packed with customers. Similar huge crowd wishing to choose the best of meat portions could be witnessed at the meat-sellers stalls.
Delicious dishes, which Kashmiris cook on occasions such as Eid, are a major charm for everyone on this occasion.
“You can see there is much of hustle and bustle in the market. People prefer to shop eatables these days. Most of the people are buying eatables, clothes for kids and almost all of us are spending lots of money,” said Muzaffer Mufti, another local shopping to celebrate Eid.
Special stalls showcasing Eid accoutrements like bangles, henna, cosmetics and jewelry have been set up at many shopping centres.
Among other outlets frequented by hundreds of customers are those selling cosmetics, domestic gadgets and also a wide range of shoes and other footwear. (ANI)
- Eid shopping reaches fever pitch in Kashmir - Aug 18, 2012
- Kashmir markets abuzz with shoppers for the Eid festival - Nov 27, 2009
- Old Hyderabad never sleeps for Eid shopping (Letter from Hyderabad) - Aug 16, 2012
- Kashmiris prepare for Eid with prayers, shopping - Aug 29, 2011
- Firecrackers' sale goes up in Srinagar - Sep 22, 2009
- It's time to be in Hyderabad -- for Eid shopping! - Aug 28, 2011
- Amid rain, Kashmiris hit shopping high for Eid - Nov 05, 2011
- Zubair Kirmani takes designer menswear to Srinagar - May 19, 2012
- Feasting all night long - at Jama Masjid of course (Feature) (With Images) - Aug 10, 2012
- Where Diwali comes late and brings on animal slaughter - Nov 24, 2011
- Inflation mars Eid shopping in Pakistan - Aug 16, 2011
- In digital age, no takers in Pakistan for Eid cards - Aug 12, 2011
- For Eid, Kashmir shoppers buy more than they can carry - Sep 19, 2009
- Assamese happy over possible government, ULFA talks - Jan 21, 2011
- Naraka Chaturdashi celebrated in Andhra - Oct 25, 2011
Tags: accoutrements, bakery shops, bargain price, bhat, bustle, confectionery, delicious dishes, eatables, eid, elders, festive season, food items, kashmir, lots of money, maximum sales, meat chicken, muslim residents, ramadan, shawl, shopkeeper