Editors Guild of India shows deep concern over attacks on media menJune 25th, 2008 - 11:16 pm ICT by ANI
Kottayam (Kerala), June 25 (ANI): The Editors Guild of India has taken a serious view of the increasing incidents of violence against journalists and expressed deep concern over the recent attacks of newsmen and news organsations as witnessed in the last few weeks.
The Guild has felt that the attacks in different parts of the country are carried out by outfits which enjoy protection and immunity from ruling parties.
In the latest instance, activists of the Student Federation of India (SFI) assaulted three journalists of the Malayala Manorama group in Kottayam on Tuesday.
Pradeep Joseph, reporter of the television channel Manorama News, was chased and beaten up by SFI activists while he was covering a demonstration of SFI.
Though he sought refuge in a police jeep, he was pulled out and thrashed.
Fellow journalists including Arun John, reporter of Malayala Manorama and Nishad Kurien, photographer of Malayala Manorama who went to his rescue were also hit. They had to take refuge in the nearby Malayala Manorama office.
The mob also beat up their driver. But when the guards blocked the way of the assailants, the enraged activists stoned the newspaper office.
When Police tried to intervene, it also suffered the activists attack.
The three journalists and driver Sabu are presently undergoing treatment for serious injuries at the Medical College Hospital in Kottayam
The Editors Guild of India has considered it a serious and violent infringement of the freedom of the press, and urged the Kerala Government to take exemplary action against the guilty and ensure that such attacks were not repeated. (ANI)
- IPI condemns Marxists for newspaper blockade - Nov 04, 2011
- Media mogul K.M. Mathew was a workaholic till end (Lead Obituary) - Aug 01, 2010
- Media mogul K.M. Mathew dies, thousands pay respects (Lead) - Aug 01, 2010
- Media mogul K.M. Mathew passes away at 93 (Obituary) - Aug 01, 2010
- President Patil condoles death of K M Mathew - Aug 01, 2010
- Thousands attend last rites of K.M. Mathew - Aug 02, 2010
- CITU flayed for blocking newspapers - Nov 03, 2011
- Malayala Manorama group executive editor elected WAN-IFRA president - Apr 09, 2011
- PM pays tributes to veteran journalist - Aug 02, 2011
- Maharashtra governor mourns K.M. Mathew's death - Aug 01, 2010
- Doyen of Kerala's media industry K.M. Mathew dies - Aug 01, 2010
- Coomi Kapoor is new secretary general of Editors Guild - Dec 24, 2009
- Attack on Andhra news channel condemned - Mar 24, 2010
- Coomi Kapoor elected new secretary-general of Editors Guild - Dec 24, 2009
- Mathew championed highest traditions of Indian journalism: PM - Aug 01, 2010
Tags: arun, assailants, editors guild, fellow journalists, freedom of the press, immunity, kerala government, malayala manorama, media men, medical college hospital, newsmen, newspaper office, police jeep, pradeep, ruling parties, sabu, sfi, student federation, television channel, undergoing treatment