Editors Guild of India condemns attack on Kerala journalistsApril 9th, 2009 - 3:07 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Apr 9 (ANI): The Editors Guild of India has condemned the attack on journalists of ‘Manorama News’ at an election rally in Puthanathani in Kerala’s Mallappuram District of Kerala on April 7.
The journalists S. Mahesh and V J Moncy who had gone to the rally for regular coverage had a rude shock when a speaker announced that a news channel had flashed the news that the CPM supported candidate was not allowed to join the Chief Minister on the stage.
The journalists were surrounded by members of the CPM. Even when the journalists said their channel had not given any such flash news, the journalists were beaten up.
The reporter Mahesh was forcibly taken to the stage and was held hostage by menacing workers.
Other journalists, who protested the attack on their fellow scribes, were also surrounded by the angry mob and threatened.
By then Mahesh had been subjected to further assault. Moncy, who had been thrashed, was taken to police station. The journalists have been hospitalised.
This act of hooliganism is unacceptable and the Guild urges the Kerala Government and the police to prosecute the hooligans who assaulted the journalists, who were doing their duty.
The government and the Election Commission must provide foolproof security to journalists who cover the general elections. (ANI)
- Journalists stage sit-in at Kerala assembly after assaults - Jul 14, 2011
- As Mamata says 'all cooked up', Marxists hit road (West Bengal Newsletter) - Mar 04, 2012
- Mathrubhumi gets set to launch news channel - Dec 29, 2010
- 'Any code of conduct effective only if journalists conscientious' - Dec 03, 2010
- Kazakh journalist stabbed - Apr 21, 2012
- Kashmir Journalists Guild (KJG) holds election in Srinagar - Nov 11, 2010
- Malayala Manorama group executive editor elected WAN-IFRA president - Apr 09, 2011
- Pakistani journalists assaulted - Jan 26, 2012
- Media mogul K.M. Mathew was a workaholic till end (Lead Obituary) - Aug 01, 2010
- Mayawati suspends two policemen for attacking scribe - Jun 27, 2011
- Molestation of teen sparks national outrage; four held (Roundup) - Jul 13, 2012
- Editors Guild condemns paid news practice - Dec 23, 2009
- Police officer arrested for attack on scribe - May 21, 2011
- Media mogul K.M. Mathew dies, thousands pay respects (Lead) - Aug 01, 2010
- Uttar Pradesh government gagging media: CNN-IBN (Lead) - Jun 27, 2011
Tags: angry mob, chief minister, editors guild, election commission, election rally, flash news, foolproof security, general elections, hooliganism, hooligans, hostage, India, journalists, kerala government, mahesh, moncy, New Delhi, police station, rude shock, scribes