Economic survey calls for a second green revolutionFebruary 25th, 2011 - 3:14 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb 25 (ANI): The Economic Survey presented by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee today underlined the need for making efforts to achieve a second green revolution in the country.
The Survey recalled that the pioneering efforts of agriculture scientists and farmers were able to achieve a breakthrough in the agriculture sector in the 1960s and there was need to achieve a second green revolution in the country now.
The food safety net for each and every of the over a billion citizens requires enhanced agriculture production and productivity in the form of a second green revolution.
The survey points out that the country is likely to achieve a more production of wheat (81.47 million tonnes), pulses (16.51 million tonnes) and cotton (33.93 million bales of 170 kg each) this year in spite of drought in some States, cyclones, unseasonal and heavy rains and cold wave and frost condition in several parts.
Stressing on the development of infrastructure support in agriculture and allied sector, the survey said that the relative weak supply responses to price hike in agriculture commodities, specially food articles in recent brings into the focus the Central question of efficient supply management and more investment in agriculture and allied sectors with the right strategies, policies and intervention. (ANI)
- India to produce 232 mn tonne foodgrains - Feb 09, 2011
- Food grain production could hit record 250 mn tonnes: PM (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Record 250 mn tonnes food grain production in 2012-13: PM - Feb 15, 2012
- Record 257.44 mn tonne food production expected in 2011-12 - Jul 17, 2012
- India needs another farm revolution: PM - Aug 15, 2011
- Record food production in 2010-11, says president - Mar 12, 2012
- Vidarbha farmers unimpressed by budget - Feb 28, 2011
- Food production may surpass target: Pawar - Sep 14, 2011
- PMO directs focus on oilseeds, pulses for next Green Revolution - Sep 16, 2011
- India to give major boost to Africa's cotton output - Jun 01, 2012
- Bihar sets up agriculture 'cabinet' for farm sector - Apr 25, 2011
- All time record in farm production: PM - Feb 20, 2012
- Innovation can make India food basket of world: Scindia - Feb 13, 2011
- India cannot afford to fight civil war over water: Kalam - Dec 14, 2011
- Raise grain output, invest in research, says PM - Jul 16, 2011
Tags: agriculture commodities, agriculture production, agriculture scientists, agriculture sector, bales, central question, cold wave, economic survey, finance minister, food articles, food safety, heavy rains, infrastructure support, pranab mukherjee, price hike, pulses, safety net, second green revolution, supply management, supply responses